[RESOLVED] Can't open MKV with AVC/AC3

Support forum for DGDecNV
admin

Re: Can't open MKV with AVC/AC3

Post by admin »

Anyway, it's not valid to split an MKV with DGSplit so your results are not useful.

I can't find any specs on header removal compression for AVC video, so I wrote to the Matroska guys about it. I've temporarily added an error popup.
Karyudo

Post by Karyudo »

Why isn't it valid to split an MKV with DGSplit? That's not me being argumentative -- I'm truly wondering. Because it worked, and the results in this case were consistent with the hypothesis...
admin

Post by admin »

The headers still reference parts of the file that no longer exist. It may be OK, if you never try to navigate past the split point.
Karyudo

Post by Karyudo »

I see. Makes sense that it worked fine in this particular case, then, because the main question (that I had, anyway) was if the split file would open at all. Whether or not the file would be robust at the split point was a question that didn't even cross my mind.

Glad to know the disease has been identified. Looking forward to the cure!
admin

Post by admin »

I have header removal compression working! I still have to regression test it. But it should be in the next release.
Karyudo

Post by Karyudo »

Great news! Nice work. I still find it absolutely remarkable how relentless you are in improving your product. I suspect DGIndexNV users don't really understand how spoiled they are: point out a flaw on Monday -- one not even directly caused by DGIndexNV, even -- and it's basically fixed by Friday. Astonishing.

(Meanwhile, my corporate IT department's "fix it" page sits there, day after day, month after month, with my suggestion to improve how we use the MS Office ribbon gathering dust. Sigh.)
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the kind words!

Build 2036 with MKV header removal compression is released.
Karyudo

Post by Karyudo »

You know you're a nerd when your first coherent thought on a Saturday is, "Ooh, look! A new version of DGIndexNV that fixes my problem! Gotta download and try it!"

Downloading and trying...

(Thanks!)