[RESOLVED] AC3Source for audio

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
TCmullet

[RESOLVED] AC3Source for audio

Post by TCmullet »

I have run DGIndexNV. It created a file whose latter half is:
PID 101 3_2ch 48KHz 640Kbps DELAY 11ms.ac3

Your instructions tell me to delay the audio 11ms, which I can do as I code my script.

But your basic instructions for handling audio tracks are thusly:
We saw processing for a ".wav" audio file above. You need the corresponding source filter for the type of audio you have. Use WAVSource() for ".wav", MPASource() for ".mpa", AC3Source() for ".ac3", etc. WAVSource() is built into Avisynth. The others can be found here: Avisynth Filter Collection.

That link to where I can get AC3Source() is broken. Plus I have searched high and wide and cannot find where to get AC3Source(). Could you please direct me to where (and how) I can incorporate the AC3Source() function?

(Also, and a bit off point, is there a way to turn off that gnat smilie crawling around on my screen to the right of this edit window? It's very distracting while I'm trying to type. I'm not sure why anyone would want it.)
DAE avatar
Aleron Ives

Re: AC3Source for audio

Post by Aleron Ives »

TCmullet wrote:(Also, and a bit off point, is there a way to turn off that gnat smilie crawling around on my screen to the right of this edit window? It's very distracting while I'm trying to type. I'm not sure why anyone would want it.)
Thou shalt not spurn the bug emoticon. As atonement for thy disrespect, the bug shall haunt thy dealings with computers forevermore. Thou shalt never escape the spectre of the bug! :twisted:

In all seriousness though, did you mean to post a link for the AviSynth filter collection, because I don't see one in your post. It's just plain text.

Anyway, I think that AC3Source is abandoned at this point, but the NicAudio plugin is still around and supports both AC3 and other formats. Can it do what you need?
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

Aleron Ives wrote:In all seriousness though, did you mean to post a link for the AviSynth filter collection, because I don't see one in your post. It's just plain text.
I had simply copy/pasted Donald's text in his brief tutorial in the QuickStart.html file contained in the zipfile. (Uh, I can't find that page anywhere online.) I'm hoping he can correct that file as well as make it visible online. Having it online wouldn't result in anyone bypassing his licensing requirements, but would help people (esp. neophytes) feel better about jumping into this tool. And having the text and the link contained therein corrected is always helpful.
Anyway, I think that AC3Source is abandoned at this point, but the NicAudio plugin is still around and supports both AC3 and other formats. Can it do what you need?
If AC3Source is unavailable anywhere, and "nicaudio" is his recommended tool, then I feel his text and link should point to it. The system is hard enough to use without having to figure out errors in the instructions. I'll check out Nicaudio (thanks for the link), but still want to use whatever Donald officially recommends via error-free instructions.

(And while we're talking about instructions, I think most cases of usage are where we are given NON elementary streams. Therefore the example would be more helpful if it used that kind of file rather than the elementary video stream his example uses. If he used an M2TS in his example, it would have come out much more clearly how to let DGIndex create the audio elementary stream. It was not easy for this neophyte to figure out. Nothing has been easy about learning DGDecNV. But I'm working hard to get through it. Almost there. If it works, one cannot gripe about the price. I may write my own tutorial some time. If I do, I'll post it so future users can do all steps quickly instead of beating myself over the head for hours at many stages.)
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

Groucho2004 wrote: Also, I don't recall Don mentioning that nicaudio is "his recommended tool".
That's my point. He recommends AC3Source() not Nicaudio, but his link to AC3Source is broken. I am suggesting that whatever tool he recommends (and I think he should recommend something), that he update his instructions to point to it.
I don't know what instructions you're reading, in my opinion the supplied html files for DGIndexNV and DGDecodeNV are more than sufficient, even for a "neophyte".
I was reading the QuickStart.html file that came in the zipfile. Maybe for a neophyte who is a genius (like you and him), but for the rest of us...

Those files you refer to are great reference manuals. But seeing as this process is much more complex than simply saying "AVISource" on a program stream, a tutorial that is full would be helpful (and I'm willing to write one).

One has to remember lots of different things, which are easily forgettable. I may put it all together in one tutorial. (Example: He doesn't even tell how to install DGindexNV. Had to figure that out myself from my years of computer experience that maybe you simply create a shortcut to the .exe and place it on your desktop. Simple stuff, but it's omissions like that that trip up us non-genius neophytes. (I'm rather afraid to simply create shortcuts if something should be "installed".) But this is all tangent to the subject at hand, AC3.
First of all, processing the extracted audio with Avisynth has nothing to do DGDecNV. Anyone who has the required minimal knowledge of Avisynth would just have a look at avisynth.nl (or use google) and check the recommended filter for any given audio source.
Processing (creating) an extracted audio has to do with DGIndexNV (not DGDecNV) which is the tool that does it. But you have to figure out the switch to make it work. If he had used a program stream (very common) as his example vs elementary stream (which is not as common these days), that probably would have come out. (But for $15, I'm not griping loudly or maliciously, just mildly. It's a fair deal once you get it all together.)

I had visited avisynth.nl and hunted a good while, but failed. Googled also and failed. Was looking for AC3Source(). I couldn't find anything that said for AC3 use "this". Frustration level was rising. (I've done internet searches daily for years even teaching non-computer people how to search, but rarely get this frustrated.) Care to point me to a spot on that home page that I can follow to the recommended AC3 filter? If I missed something obvious, I'll admit it.
admin

Post by admin »

TCmullet suggests several things. Here is my take on them:

1. Change the QuickStart guide to reflect the fact that AC3Source() is apparently no longer available

Seems reasonable. I'll change it locally right now and then it will make the next release.

2. Put the QuickStart guide online.

Then I would have another thing to maintain when my main interests are headed elsewhere these days and the demands on my time are already very high. I believe the forums and wikis provide ample resources for anyone to find the information they need to decide if DGDecNV is suitable.

3. Ditch the bug emoticon.

But aren't some of the other ones that move also irritating? Are you asking me to remove them also?

4. The example in the QuickStart guide should use (e.g.) M2TS instead of an ES.

I was trying explicitly to separate the handling of video and audio for purposes of exegisis. The detailed users manual goes into handling of transport streams etc. Perhaps the guide could be improved but it's not a high priority for me right now. Believe me, if I had the time I'd be using it to support HEVC, not tweaking documents.

Generally, regarding DGDecNV complexity, I believe it is as complex as it needs to be and no more. The documents are clear and well-written IMHO.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

BTW, NicAudio (dated 2012) appears to be working so far. But I'll still be happy to switch to whatever Donald endorses, though. (And I do hope he will endorse one.)
admin

Post by admin »

I happily use nicAC3source() myself. If you want to treat that as an endorsement it is fine by me. But I believe there may be other AC3 source filters. There is always DirectShowSource(). :scratch: I wouldn't want to endorse one thing when I haven't done proper research of all the options. I use nicAC3source() because it works fine for me, that's all.

Thank you for your suggestions and don't hesitate to post if you have any issues with my tools.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

admin wrote:TCmullet suggests several things. Here is my take on them:

1. Change the QuickStart guide to reflect the fact that AC3Source() is apparently no longer available

Seems reasonable. I'll change it locally right now and then it will make the next release.

2. Put the QuickStart guide online.

Then I would have another thing to maintain when my main interests are headed elsewhere these days and the demands on my time are already very high. I believe the forums and wikis provide ample resources for anyone to find the information they need to decide if DGDecNV is suitable.

3. Ditch the bug emoticon.

But aren't some of the other ones that move also irritating? Are you asking me to remove them also?

4. The example in the QuickStart guide should use (e.g.) M2TS instead of an ES.

I was trying explicitly to separate the handling of video and audio for purposes of exegisis. The detailed users manual goes into handling of transport streams etc. Perhaps the guide could be improved but it's not a high priority for me right now. Believe me, if I had the time I'd be using it to support HEVC, not tweaking documents.

Generally, regarding DGDecNV complexity, I believe it is as complex as it needs to be and no more. The documents are clear and well-written IMHO.
#1. Thank you.
#2. I agree, leave it offline. Not critical to be online. Don't want to add further maintenance.
#3. Yes, there are other animated ones, but they don't jump out like the gnat. I'm sensitive as I've had real insects elude me, and I keep thinking that. But no, it only appears to the right. I can live with it (although I can't figure why anyone would have justification to add it to a post, but I admit I'm not much of a smily user anyway, beyond the simply colon-right-paren).
#4. I was trying to emphasize that the majority of cases, at least in newer times and with newbies, are where what they have IS a multiplexed stream (program stream, transport stream), and therefore the quickstart education should (IMHO) include how to get from there to using the opened file in a script. But I myself have gotten past all of that in my own case. Am not trying to pressure you do a revision; just letting you know some will stumble (apart from digging hard into the non-quickstart, which perhaps they should be expected to do anyway).
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

admin wrote:I happily use nicAC3source() myself. If you want to treat that as an endorsement it is fine by me. But I believe there may be other AC3 source filters. There is always DIrectShowSource(). :scratch: I wouldn't want to endorse one thing when I haven't done proper research of all the options. I use nicAC3source() because it works fine for me, that's all.

Thank you for your suggestions and don't hesitate to post if you have any issues with my tools.
You have already endorsed AC3Source in your docs. I'm merely suggesting switch your endorsement to one you know is available and works, which apparently ought to be Nic's at the present time. (I did see that in my search, but was misled to avoid it as it seemed too personal via the "nic" reference, and it was "old" - 2012, therefore I continued to believe I ought to hunt for the "real" and non-specialized AC3 decoder.) I'm thinking of the new customer who wants to simply take what you say and run with it without having to do a lot of their own research. This strange matter of opening a video/audio stream is extremely startling to all people embracing Avisynth. I've used dozens (probably) of languages since 1972, and all of them have straightforward file open commands. (Maybe several forms, corresponding to finitely several file formats.) I guess the problem in our world here is that video files have nearly an infinite number of possible structures. So there's no one "open video stream" command that can be devised.

And somewhere along the way I think I was suggested to avoid DirectShowSource, maybe unless I'm accessing a multiplexed stream via it, which here I'm obviously not.
admin

Post by admin »

TCmullet wrote: You have already endorsed AC3Source in your docs. I'm merely suggesting switch your endorsement to one you know is available and works, which apparently ought to be Nic's at the present time.
I do not endorse any other programs!
I did see that in my search, but was misled to avoid it as it seemed too personal via the "nic" reference, and it was "old" - 2012, therefore I continued to believe I ought to hunt for the "real" and non-specialized AC3 decoder.
So go and hunt for it.
I'm thinking of the new customer who wants to simply take what you say and run with it without having to do a lot of their own research.
My tools are for competent, experienced users.
This strange matter of opening a video/audio stream is extremely startling to all people embracing Avisynth. I've used dozens (probably) of languages since 1972, and all of them have straightforward file open commands. (Maybe several forms, corresponding to finitely several file formats.) I guess the problem in our world here is that video files have nearly an infinite number of possible structures. So there's no one "open video stream" command that can be devised.
I regret that I cannot make the world wonderful for you. :lol: