DGDecNV and KNLMeans under Win10_x64

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
AJR

Re: DGDecNV and KNLMeans under Win10_x64

Post by AJR »

I dont use QTGMC so I dont understand why it is so important to say dont use r1825 in general. I am using hw deint via VP6. I dont see such slowdown between r1576 and r1825. Did you find anyone else who has confirmed general slowdown?

I cannot find recommendation for r1825. So maybe I was not remembered well. But I am sure I have read a post that r1825 in sigle threaded processing is working at least the same well as r1576. If you want I can edit my previous post and delete the sentence about recommendation ;)
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

AJR wrote:I dont use QTGMC
QTGMC is just used here as test to show a potential global/general issue, not something specific to QTGMC.
admin

Post by admin »

Didn't someone identify the commit that caused it? If so, why can't we have a fixed version pronto?
admin

Post by admin »

Have the original developers abandoned Avisynth+? We now have random people trying to hack away on it?
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Could you please put version 2049 instead of test in the test builds?

Otherwise staxrip can't recognize them
admin

Post by admin »

I don't know what you are talking about. I don't put "test" anywhere.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Just found that AVSMeter64 and x264_x64 works with 64 bit versions of both DGDecNV and KNLMeansCL:

Code: Select all

LoadPlugin("D:\eseguibili\media\DGDecNV\x64\DGDecodeNV.dll")
DGSource("E:\in\2_01 favoloso mondo di Amelie, Il\amelie.dgi")
KNLMeansCL(D=1, A=1, h=7.0,device_type="GPU")
CompTest(1)

Code: Select all

AVSMeter 2.1.2 (x64)
AviSynth+ 0.1 (r1825, MT, x86_64) (0.1.0.0)

Number of frames:                 1764
Length (hh:mm:ss.ms):     00:01:13.500
Frame width:                      1920
Frame height:                      816
Framerate:                      24.000 (24/1)
Colorspace:                       YV12

Frames processed:               1764 (0 - 1763)
FPS (min | max | average):      2.087 | 41.93 | 22.76
Memory usage (phys | virt):     101 | 389 MB
Thread count:                   23
CPU usage (average):            10%

Time (elapsed):                 00:01:17.497
There must be something wrong with NVIDIA drivers or something else on 32 bit.

I was accustomed with MeGUI, I'll have to use command line. StaxRip gives me problem with demux dependencies.
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the status report and please keep me informed of any further findings.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:Thanks for the status report and please keep me informed of any further findings.
No other findings for some time, at least until AviSynth+ gives no image corruption and cretindesalpes compiles an x64 version of modified MVTools.

If you can report this behaviour to your Nvidia contacts, probably you can debug together the problem.

In the mean time I'll be obliged to use Intel GPU to decode videos.
admin

Post by admin »

I'm not interested in debugging KNLMeansCL, and I'm certainly not going to bother nVidia about something only one person reports.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:I'm not interested in debugging KNLMeansCL, and I'm certainly not going to bother nVidia about something only one person reports.
It's a pity there are no other working OpenCL AviSynth plugins now.
admin

Post by admin »

Why is it a pity? Who cares about OpenCL?

CUDA outperforms OpenCL by 30% and CUDA performs faster data transfers to and from a GPU's memory.

To protect the source for a closed-source application requires jumping through hoops for OpenCL.

Anyway, it's all moot for DGDecNV which relies on CUVID. I suppose one could try to make a case for OpenCL transform filters on portability grounds, but I speculate that most people are more concerned about performance on their own platform than the theoretical portability to other platforms.

From the internet: "When portability is an issue, it is always better to use a standard. However, an interesting fact on the portability of OpenCL is that while a big part of the same code (mostly the kernels) can be certainly executed in several platforms, the high performance will not be as portable. There will still be a need of making optimizations to exploit the architecture at hand. A code optimized for a GPU does not necessarily work as optimized on a multicore ARM or FPGA. Also the control code is likely not 100% portable and must be re-written when changing the platform to a totally different one."

Flame suit is on, fire away! :P
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:Why is it a pity? Who cares about OpenCL?
CUDA outperforms OpenCL by 30% and CUDA performs faster data transfers to and from a GPU's memory.
Ok, let's try to tell Khanattila to port KNLMeansCL to CUDA. :mrgreen:
admin

Post by admin »

KNLMeansCL must be a really big deal to have you in such a state. Help me out, what is so great about it? I'm not doubting, I just don't know anything about it.
DAE avatar
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives »

admin wrote:Why is it a pity? Who cares about OpenCL?
Well, nVidia certainly doesn't. They added a bug for GK104 cards in their 330.x driver branch that cuts OpenCL performance in half, which means I can never upgrade my GPU driver without killing my Folding@home performance. Apparently nVidia doesn't care about the bug at all, because they've released many drivers over the last year and have never taken any steps to fix it. They don't seem to care about supporting their cards with older architectures, either.
admin

Post by admin »

Aleron Ives wrote:They added a bug for GK104 cards in their 330.x driver branch that cuts OpenCL performance in half
Can you please point me to a reliable source for this claim?
They don't seem to care about supporting their cards with older architectures, either.
Yes, I have discovered this the hard way.
DAE avatar
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives »

There have been multiple reports from people with GK104 cards that Folding@home performance gets halved after updating to anything after driver 327:

https://foldingforum.org/viewforum.php?f=80

Here's just one report posted by a forum moderator for why the TC's GTX 770 is folding poorly:

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=27297

There are other reports, but you'd have to dig through the forum to find them, as the bug was introduced about two years ago now. I've also seen reports on various overclocking/PC enthusiast forums and elsewhere, but it's been more than a year since I did the research that led me to decide to never update my GPU driver (which is annoying, as I can't get any of the benefits bestowed by those new drivers).
admin

Post by admin »

Thank you, Aleron.
admin

Post by admin »

While you're here...has this folding stuff ever led to any useful discoveries, treatments, etc.?
DAE avatar
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives »

The results are used for peer-reviewed scientific journal articles that a layman such as myself cannot understand, so I can't really comment as to how useful the results have been. All I can do is hope that donating my computing time might help somebody at Stanford learn something important. I can't perform cancer research myself, but I can run a computer program.

Since you have a more scientific background than myself, perhaps you would find some of the articles comprehensible or illuminating. Stanford has a directory of the papers published from F@h projects here. I might think that the most recent paper, "Activation pathway of Src kinase reveals intermediate states as targets for drug design" would sound promising, if I knew what it was about. :lol:
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

I just read a post about 2049 working. Could you please give me a link to download?

Thanks.
admin

Post by admin »

I uploaded it to the binaries area.

If it works it is not because of anything different in my code. It is because different versions of CUDA/CUVID are used. That is not within my control, as the latest version of CUDA/CUVID is needed to support HEVC and latest hardware.