[RESOLVED] Extra documentation?

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
sparktank

[RESOLVED] Extra documentation?

Post by sparktank »

Hi,

Every time I go to create a post, I end up going over the manuals again and finding me own answers. :lol:

But, I'm curious, is there any other documentation available to read up on the AVC/MPEG2/VC1 frame structures?
White papers.

Would love to read up on some things, maybe learn some history.

I know there's some free docs from the ITU site, but I'm not sure which would be recommended to read up for generic home consumers like I.

Any pointers would be nice :)
Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 | GPU Caps Viewer
Windows 10 Annversary (x64) | ASVPlus_x64
Region A/R1
admin

Re: Extra documentation?

Post by admin »

Hi. That's a difficult question to answer without knowing your goals.

For a generic home consumer, most likely the goal is to make correct transcodings. For this you do not need anything beyond some basic knowledge that is well covered at the various forums. You can also find relevant information and guides using Google.

For a developer making tools, you will need the format specifications.

So I won't recommend anything until you tell me what you intend to do with the information. In any case, as a developer I pretty much stick with the specs and nothing else, so I'm not the best guy to be making recommendations.
DAE avatar
sparktank

Re: Extra documentation?

Post by sparktank »

Yeah, it's just for understanding more about the formats we can use for home encoding.

I'm far from getting into developing, of any kind.

I'm always fascinated of the possibilities we can do with Avisynth and other tools, and encoding at home, I just had the urge for more "input". (as Johnny 5 puts it)

Trying to compile a bunch of information off the forums and grabbing specs from the ITU site where I can.

The biggest things on my mind are deinterlacing or dealing with things like MBAFF / PAFF.
But there's plenty out there to take in, so was hoping to find it all in one place where everyone else gets it first. :scratch:

In Canada/NTSC/Region A, me and a friend (he's in UK) were talking about things like how North America handles BBC series.
I've got 2 series on bluray from BBC and have never really looked at them in details outside the bluray machine.
Plus a few DVD's.

The more information I can seek and obtain (to archive for offline use), the better.

But, it's comforting to know that much is out already and that spec is available.
Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 | GPU Caps Viewer
Windows 10 Annversary (x64) | ASVPlus_x64
Region A/R1