[RESOLVED] Dual NIC and software protection thoughts

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
Guest 2

[RESOLVED] Dual NIC and software protection thoughts

Post by Guest 2 »

My Asus P6T has 2 NICs. Yesterday I switched the lan cable from the first to the second and DGNV stopped working yelling me that the license was invalid.

I think that if the protection is MAC based, it should query ALL the NICs and if it finds AT LEAST the one which has generated DGNV code, the license should work. If it based only on the current working one, IMHO it's uncomfortable.

Moreover, MAC is very easy to be spoofed on LAN (don't know if it can be spoofed internally when queried).

admin, don't get pissed off. It's just a no caffeine morning thought. ;)
DAE avatar
mikeyakame

Re: Dual NIC and software protection thoughts

Post by mikeyakame »

admin added looping license check for multiple nic's a while back, it's been flawless and hassle free since said implementation for me!
Make sure you have one license generated per machine id (each nic) and have all active license keys listed in the license.txt file, one per line. Should work if you do that.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

mikeyakame wrote:Make sure you have one license generated per machine id (each nic) and have all active license keys listed in the license.txt file, one per line. Should work if you do that.
Why should I burn a license to get two of them for a single PC? Wouldn't be sufficient to get every NIC probed by the protection engine? I think it's not very easy to desolder and solder a chip from the motherboard and above all it's not smart to gain only a few bucks..
DAE avatar
Didée

Post by Didée »

No additional bucks are gained. The idea is this:

Step 1: - Have "Adapter#1" active -> get machine ID -> generate license ID (#1)

Step 2: - Have "Adapter#2" active -> get machine ID -> generate license ID (#2)

Step 3: - Put both license IDs into one file license.txt, like so:

Code: Select all

0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef
56789abcdef0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef01234
That's all, and doesn't cost one single extra buck.
admin

Post by admin »

There's a technical reason that allows a very simple exploit if I do that. I will not discuss details of my protection so you'll have to trust me on it. I'll have another look at it to see if it can be blocked but it's not a high priority for me. At this point my protection is so highly distributed and obscurantized, that it would be a MAJOR effort to do what you ask.

My policy has always been to reset the license count to zero when needed for trusted users, so you're quibbling about nothing.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

neuron2 wrote:BTW, calling something I've done "stupid and useless" without being in full possession of all the facts is rather over the top.
You are quite right.

Forgive my caveman attitude, I have edited my post.