[RESOLVED] Native Vapoursynth support

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
Boulder

[RESOLVED] Native Vapoursynth support

Post by Boulder »

Hi Don,

do you have any plans regarding Vapoursynth support for the DGDecNV? It is the only thing that is still 32-bit in my Vapoursynth processing chain since the 64-bit plugin cannot be loaded in VS.
admin

Re: [RESOLVED] Native Vapoursynth support

Post by admin »

Sorry, I have no plans to support Vapoursynth.
DAE avatar
LigH

Post by LigH »

[links and etc. deleted by admin]

I hope that you can at least compile your plugins with AviSynth 2.6 headers, Donald. Please.
admin

Post by admin »

I can look into building with 2.6 headers. Do you have a link to get them? Will it break 2.5 compatibility?
DAE avatar
LigH

Post by LigH »

I am no C/C++ coder, I don't know in detail. Probably shipped with the AviSynth 2.6 sources, I believe. I would guess that some facts can be found in the [link deleted].
admin

Post by admin »

No time here to do a Vapoursynth research project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM_p1Az05Jo
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

admin wrote:Will it break 2.5 compatibility?
Yes, and there is more.
If you use last official avisynth 2.6 headers, it will break avs+ x64 compatibility.
What surprise me is that you're using 2.5 headers, as for x64, as far as i know, there is not such headers, unless you allready use avs+ headers ?
admin

Post by admin »

I won't leave 2.5 users in the lurch. Backward compatibility is very important to me.

I don't see why Vapoursynth can't support 2.5-built filters.

For the record here, I did make native support for one DGNV release but the author of Vapoursynth intentionally broke it in his next release, and then was contemptuous of me when I objected. I would overlook his impertinence and re-release native support if he would put his silly "frame rate normalization" in the core and not stupidly force it onto every filter writer. Don't hold your breath for that though, as the author has already ruled it out.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

I won't leave 2.5 users in the lurch. Backward compatibility is very important to me.
Thank you very very much. I rely on a rock solid stable (for me,at least) 2.57 for my workflows.
I really do like it here.
DAE avatar
Boulder

Post by Boulder »

Don,

could you please compile both versions (2.5 and 2.6)? That way you would support all the registered users and not just Avisynth users.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

Just mentioning, after some searching today either I am mis-understanding what is supported or there's information at odds out there about support in VapourSynth.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p ... ost1771039
admin

Post by admin »

According to the Vapoursynth documentation it should be able to use DGSource() in 32-bit. If you need 64-bit, you can ask the Vapoursynth author to support 2.5 plugins in 64-bit. Or, better yet, ask him to put his "frame rate normalization" in the core where it belongs, so I can release native support. I am not going to make multiple versions or implement unnecessary code hacks.

Use FFMPEGSOURCE. It rocks. :lol:
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

admin wrote:According to the Vapoursynth documentation it should be able to use DGSource() in 32-bit ... Use FFMPEGSOURCE. It rocks. :lol:
Ooh, icon-looking-things (says an ex assembler/fortran programmer from the 70s).

Righty, DGSource() in 32-bit, will be it then.
:bow:

I assess 0.00% chance of the Vapoursynth author supporting NV :evil: however it is time for me to give in, bite that bullet, and give portable VapourSynth a go.

Per http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p ... ost1770986 :lol: :scratch: :( :o :wow: :shock: :?
I just visited https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releases to download the latest version https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releas...2-2.22-msvc.7z for vapoursynth
... and chrome spewed and told me that ffms2-2.22-msvc.7z is malicious and blocked the download.
Other files from github dowloaded fine earlier this morning which suggests it doesn't like ffms2-2.22-msvc.7z specifically.
So I may give FFMPEGSOURCE a miss for the time being.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

Also, what should I read into this (4 Mar 2016) http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p ... ost1759402 which seems to indicate that DGdecNV is supported in VapourSynth because it shows how to use it (code below) and says "DGSource works fine btw".

Code: Select all

import vapoursynth as vs
core = vs.get_core()
core.std.LoadPlugin(r'D:\Software\Medien\DGDecNV\DGDecodeNV.dll')
clip = core.dgdecodenv.DGSource(r'D:\Temp\Video\00009 temp files\00009.dgi')
clip = core.vivtc.VFM(clip, 1)
clip = core.vivtc.VDecimate(clip)
clip.set_output()
admin

Post by admin »

So I may give FFMPEGSOURCE a miss for the time being.
As they say, discretion is the better part of valor.

It must be in 32-bit, which as I said is supported by Vapoursynth.
DAE avatar
astrayred

Post by astrayred »

Hi Mr DG,

So I have read through the thread and I understand the differences that you and the VS author have, but I really hope you would reconsider making a native VS plugin.

My dilemma now is that I have upgraded to a GTX 1070, and apparently only DGNV 2051 works on that. The VS plugin you did way way back won't read index files generated by 2051, so you can see the problem I have.

I have been using Avisynth now as a stopgap, but Avisynth is much slower than VS and multi-threading isn't as stable. So now my workflow is totally busted.

Going forward, I'm sure you would have more users who have upgraded to the Pascal series, so I sincerely hope you would reconsider!

Thanks for your time.
admin

Post by admin »

Greetings astrayred and welcome to the forum.

Do you use 64-bit or 32-bit stuff? If 32-bit, then VS can load the 2051 32-bit DGDecodeNV without problems.

We'll find a solution that doesn't require me to abandon my principles, which won't allow me to hack the frame rate because some misguided soul wants to be stubborn. So there can't be a native VS version, but if I made an Avisynth 2.6 binary VS could load both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of my DLL. Maybe it's time to drop 2.5 support. Does that affect only a few Windows XP holdouts?

I've created a new thread to get user opinions on switching to 2.6. Sorry guys, I'm not going to make dual binaries going forward. If I switch to 2.6, which is getting very likely, anyone needing 2.5 will have to use the last version compiled for 2.5. If anyone has a strong objection please post in the survey thread, but do it fast as I am getting ready to pull the trigger. Thank you.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=500
admin

Post by admin »

There is now a release candidate for 2052 in the binaries area. Please test it and let me know if Vapoursynth can load the 64-bit DGDecodeNV.dll. If everything is fine I will make a full release.
DAE avatar
astrayred

Post by astrayred »

Hi Admin Sir!

Wow, it's been a busy week at work for me and I come back to a very nice gift! The plugin works fine (and perhaps better than fine as it seems faster than the native dll you did a while back!) I'm very grateful at the speed which you seemed to have resolved this, and looking at the thread you created it seems like it hasn't inconvenienced other users, so for that I'm very glad as well.

Cheers, you really went beyond and above the call of duty on this one!
admin

Post by admin »

Glad to be of assistance and thanks for nudging me along. Let's also acknowledge Boulder, who also asked for this earlier. To be honest, it only took a few hours, including making the release and updating the website.

Now we have to pray for 10-bit HEVC support.
DAE avatar
Boulder

Post by Boulder »

Thank you Don, it is very nice to see you support us "paying customers". HD stuff really likes a 64-bit environment :D
admin

Post by admin »

You are most welcome! Keep those feature requests coming.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

Thank you.
Just checking, only 32-bit 2051 is supported in vapoursynth, not 2052 ?
Like this ?

Code: Select all

core.std.LoadPlugin(r'C:\software\DGDecNV\DGDecodeNV.dll')
video = core.dgdecodenv.DGSource(r'D:\Temp\Video\00009 temp files\00009.dgi')
admin

Post by admin »

Vapoursynth can use only 32-bit DGDecodeNV 2051. Vapoursynth can use both 32-bit and 64-bit DGDecodeNV 2052.

I can't help you with Vapoursynth syntax.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

admin wrote:Vapoursynth can use both 32-bit and 64-bit DGDecodeNV 2052.
Beaut.
admin wrote:I can't help you with Vapoursynth syntax because I do not use it. Is it working for you?
I'm about to find out, after "RTFM" and googling to nick someone else's VS scripts for using QTGMC, Degrain2, LSFmod, reinterlacing, etc.