Failed to create video decoder (on GT 500 series)

Support forum for DGDecNV
admin

Re: Failed to create video decoder

Post by admin »

You can use DGSplit to cut the first 50 or 100 MB.

Are you opening the file across a network connection or directly from an optical disk? If so, please try copying it to a local hard disk.

When you do Save Project, does the timeline cursor move along at all? After you open the video, do File/Play. Does the video play?
DAE avatar
Laxenade

Post by Laxenade »

Are you opening the file across a network connection or directly from an optical disk? If so, please try copying it to a local hard disk.
Re: opening on a SSD

When you do Save Project, does the timeline cursor move along at all?
Re: No

After you open the video, do File/Play. Does the video play?
Re: No

I don't think it has anything to do with the file though, none of files can play in DGIndexNV but all of them can play in DGIndex
admin

Post by admin »

So you still get the black frame on open?

If it's a transport stream the PID may be set wrong or the video type may be detected wrong. That is why I need to see a sample. Also, I have a 520 which is close to your card and I can test that on my win10 64 system. Thank you.
DAE avatar
Laxenade

Post by Laxenade »

admin wrote:So you still get the black frame on open?

If it's a transport stream the PID may be set wrong or the video type may be detected wrong. That is why I need to see a sample. Also, I have a 520 which is close to your card and I can test that on my win10 64 system. Thank you.
Can I have a download link for DGSplit?
admin

Post by admin »

http://rationalqm.us/dgsplit/dgsplit12.zip

Set for 50MB and stop after first segment.

AVG gives a false virus detection on it. I have told them several times but they ignore me. It does not contain a virus.
DAE avatar
Laxenade

Post by Laxenade »

admin wrote:http://rationalqm.us/dgsplit/dgsplit12.zip

Set for 50MB and stop after first segment.

AVG gives a false virus detection on it. I have told them several times but they ignore me. It does not contain a virus.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3gboi3emiun4 ... nk.ts?dl=0
admin

Post by admin »

Thank you, I will test it.
admin

Re: Failed to create video decoder (on GT 500 series)

Post by admin »

I duplicated issues similar to yours with my GT 520 on Win10 64. :(

It pains me to say it, but nVidia has screwed the pooch for these older cards on Win 10. There are problem reports all over the internet. I'm going to have to advise people with these cards to stay on Win 7/8/8.1 or upgrade to a newer card. Only time will tell if this is a permanent situation. There's a perfect storm for nVidia with Win 10 + DX12 + HDR + HEVC + new hardware and they are stretched to the limit; support for older cards is obviously de-prioritized at least for now. I'm not making excuses; it is what it is. For what it's worth, DGDecNV works flawlessly on my GT 950 with Win 10 and the latest drivers.

Even if there is an older driver which may work, which my research shows to be nVidia 353.62, it's difficult to stop Win 10 from automatically updating it (you need the group policy editor and/or a special tool to hide updates). You can try that route but I'm not recommending it.

So if you are stuck with this please send me an email and I will give you a refund.
MeteorRain

Post by MeteorRain »

admin wrote:(you need the group policy editor and/or a special tool to hide updates)
You can disable the updates by disabling the Windows Update service. I believe it's quite common for encoders to disable the updates since it will rudely interrupt an ongoing encoding task.
DAE avatar
Laxenade

Post by Laxenade »

admin wrote:I duplicated issues similar to yours with my GT 520 on Win10 64. :(

It pains me to say it, but nVidia has screwed the pooch for these older cards on Win 10. There are problem reports all over the internet. I'm going to have to advise people with these cards to stay on Win 7/8/8.1 or upgrade to a newer card. Only time will tell if this is a permanent situation. There's a perfect storm for nVidia with Win 10 + DX12 + HDR + HEVC + new hardware and they are stretched to the limit; support for older cards is obviously de-prioritized at least for now. I'm not making excuses; it is what it is. For what it's worth, DGDecNV works flawlessly on my GT 950 with Win 10 and the latest drivers.

Even if there is an older driver which may work, which my research shows to be nVidia 353.62, it's difficult to stop Win 10 from automatically updating it (you need the group policy editor and/or a special tool to hide updates). You can try that route but I'm not recommending it.

So if you are stuck with this please send me an email and I will give you a refund.
Does 353.62 work for you? it's not working for me
admin

Post by admin »

I haven't tried it. I found it suggested somewhere, I mentioned it but note that I did not recommend it. Sadly, I think we have to accept that 500-series are not currently supported properly on Win 10. All I can offer you is a refund.

It's not just DGDecNV. See here (regarding KNLMeansCL):

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p ... ost1757204
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

Hi,
I'm having the same issue on my laptop that is now running Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I started with build 2051. My laptop has both an Intel HD 4000 integrated GPU as well the NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 635M (current driver is 361.91). I was running 2050 of DGIndexNV on the old Windows 8.1 64bit with no issues.

Also, my other computer which is a desktop, is also running Windows 10 Pro 64bit and has the on-board Intel HD Graphics 4600 (not used) and my NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 650 (runs both monitors). I have no issues on that one running 2050.

Do you want me to create a new thread for this issue since the title of this one is focused on the GT 500 series? I'll provide whatever other info will help. Thank you.
---
omay, arrylay, curlyq & associates
MeteorRain

Post by MeteorRain »

AYColumbia wrote:Hi,
the NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 635M

Do you want me to create a new thread for this issue since the title of this one is focused on the GT 500 series? I'll provide whatever other info will help. Thank you.
I guess that's because GeForce GT 635M is the 500 series, the GT 555M. (Unless you got the second edition, which, probably a 600 series.)
admin

Post by admin »

Sure, we can keep it here, AYColumbia. It looks like MeteorRain has called it correctly. Nothing to add.
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

MeteorRain wrote:
AYColumbia wrote:Hi,
the NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 635M

I guess that's because GeForce GT 635M is the 500 series, the GT 555M. (Unless you got the second edition, which, probably a 600 series.)
Well crap on me. :cry: That sucks.

So just to be clear, this is a driver issue in Windows 10, so going back to an older driver isn't going to fix this issue. BTW, I did also try to use D3D and that didn't work either. :(
---
omay, arrylay, curlyq & associates
admin

Post by admin »

As I wrote on my DGDecNV page:

Important Information for Windows 10 Users: The nVidia drivers are currently in a state of flux due to the simultaneous advent of {Windows 10 + WDDM 2.0 + DX12 + HDR + HEVC + new hardware architectures} and full support for older cards is currently de-prioritized by nVidia. Therefore, at this time series-500 and earlier cards are not supported on Windows 10 for DGDecNV. It is not known at this time if nVidia will extend full support to these older cards on Windows 10. These older cards may still be used successfully on Windows 7/8/8.1.

Older drivers will not help.