[RESOLVED] DGindexNV.exe starting poorly

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
Sharc

[RESOLVED] DGindexNV.exe starting poorly

Post by Sharc »

Since a while DGindexNV.exe starts very poorly, means I have to click a few times on the .exe in order to start it up. I don't know since which version or slipstream or W10 update the problem exists.
It also seems that starting it via CLI is sometimes a problem, i.e. it may just not start.
Has anyone else seen this problem?
admin

Re: DGindexNV.exe starting poorly

Post by admin »

Never saw anything like that, nor can I think of any explanation.

If you open a cmd window and type "DGIndexNV" it sometimes does nothing? Is that what you are saying? No error message, it just returns the DOS prompt? Regarding having to click a few times on the exe icon that's standard to start a program, it's called a double click. ;) But seriously, we need a better account of what you are seeing. After the double click, have a look at the taskbar to see if it is present. I have seen on several OS's that sometimes the program is not brought to the front. Maybe that is what you are seeing. It's not a problem with DGIndexNV.

To have a hope of resolving this we're going to need better data than "it starts poorly". For example, after you start it and nothing happens, open the task manager and see if an instance is present, etc. With more data I can consider making a test build for you that spits out progress messages.
DAE avatar
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives »

You might also want to check the scan logs of your antivirus program, if you have one. It might be taking a long time to scan DGIndexNV.exe and thus delaying the startup process. Try temporarily disabling your active virus protection and then launching DGIndexNV.exe to see if it opens faster/on the first try.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

admin wrote:Never saw anything like that, nor can I think of any explanation.

If you open a cmd window and type "DGIndexNV" it sometimes does nothing? Is that what you are saying? No error message, it just returns the DOS prompt? Regarding having to click a few times on the exe icon that's standard to start a program, it's called a double click. ;) But seriously, we need a better account of what you are seeing. After the double click, have a look at the taskbar to see if it is present. I have seen on several OS's that sometimes the program is not brought to the front. Maybe that is what you are seeing. It's not a problem with DGIndexNV.

To have a hope of resolving this we're going to need better data than "it starts poorly". For example, after you start it and nothing happens, open the task manager and see if an instance is present, etc. With more data I can consider making a test build for you that spits out progress messages.
What I am seeing after a double click: The Windows 10 turning donut flashes shortly up (200ms), then disappears. No instant is present in the task manager - just nothing. When I repeat the double click I might be lucky after 2nd or 3rd attempt. Weird. I don't see this behavior with any other executable. No problem with DGAVCIndex.exe either.
I'll do some more tests tomorrow to see if I can provide better info.
admin

Post by admin »

Excellent point, Aleron! After you mentioned it I remembered that AVG at one time was blocking DGIndexNV 64-bit. I don't know if they ever fixed it after I notified them because I put an exception in place.

Also, terminate all reverse-engineering tools before starting DGIndexNV. I actively look for them and refuse to proceed if I see them running. My license doesn't include the right to reverse-engineer my licensing, etc., and I actively try to stop that. The cat and mouse game is fun, you win for a while, then you lose for a while, then the pirates lose interest after your 10th slipstream. All for a lousy $15 program with a niche user base.

Added that as a general note, it's not directed at my good friend Sharc!

@Sharc

Please start a cmd.exe window in your directory holding DGIndexNV.exe and just type "DGIndexNV". Do you see problems?
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Aleron Ives wrote:You might also want to check the scan logs of your antivirus program, if you have one. It might be taking a long time to scan DGIndexNV.exe and thus delaying the startup process. Try temporarily disabling your active virus protection and then launching DGIndexNV.exe to see if it opens faster/on the first try.
Indeed: Disabling Windows Defender seems to help. Will do some more tests to be sure......
(I am using the 32bit version of DGIndexNV.exe)
admin

Post by admin »

Thank you, Sharc, please keep us advised.

AVG also says that DGSplit contains a trojan. I notified them several times but no action is taken to whitelist me or fix their stupid heuristic. Why have a feedback program if they are just going to ignore the feedback?

We need to make software great again!
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

admin wrote:Excellent point, Aleron! After you mentioned it I remembered that AVG at one time was blocking DGIndexNV 64-bit.

Also, terminate all reverse-engineering tools before starting DGIndexNV. I actively look for them and refuse to proceed if I see them running. My license doesn't include the right to reverse-engineer my licensing, etc., and I actively try to stop that. The cat and mouse game is fun, you win for a while, then you lose for a while, then the pirates lose interest after your 10th slipstream. All for a lousy $15 program.

Added that as a general note, it's not directed at my good friend Sharc!

@Sharc

Please start a cmd.exe window in your directory holding DGIndexNV.exe and just type "DGIndexNV". Do you see problems?
Donald, Aleron:
Confirmed. The problem comes from the real-time scanner of Windows Defender! :shock:
With the scanner enabled, the start succeeds only in about 1 out of 5.....10 tests.
Is Windows defender a reverse-engineering tool?? I wouldn't even be surprised.... :scratch:
admin

Post by admin »

Good to know that, thank you, Sharc. I wonder if Defender gives any message about it. You'd think it or AVG would at least say they think they found a virus or trojan or something, and not just silently fail.

I assure you, though, if you download from my binaries area, there are no viruses or trojans present. jdobbs has run into similar issues and has to constantly tell people his fantastic product is not a trojan.

Make software great again, greater than ever before!
admin

Post by admin »

"Is Windows defender reverse-engineering tool?? I wouldn't even be surprised"

Good question. I won't divulge how I detect reverse-engineering tools but I can tell you that their executable is not on my blacklist. If they try to attach to my process, however, it's all over. :evil:

Hopefully you can make an exception with Defender.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

In the cmd window the cursor just returns. No error message, nothing.
admin

Post by admin »

Yes, just like AVG. Can you program exceptions with Windows Defender?

Could they be detecting my detecting them and deciding that is suspicious behavior? Where is my tin-foil hat when I need it?

BTW, DGAVCDec does not contain any such anti-reversing code.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Nice helmets! Reminds me of Saul's partner .....

And yes, putting DGindexNV.exe in Defender's exception list eliminated the problem. Thanks.

Edit:
Too early joy .... the problem is back. Even disabling Defender does not help. Must be something else.
Rest assured that I have no reverse-engineering tool installed - at least not as I know.

Here a sequence of starting attempts (g=good, b=bad):
g b b b g g g g g g g b g g g g g b g b g g g b g g g g g g b g b b g g g b g ..........
admin

Post by admin »

"I can't reproduce it, it seems random."

I hate that random stuff. You have to start an exhaustive search to find it or get lucky. Maybe we can get lucky.

I have a first debug build for you.

First, get the DbgView utility from Microsoft:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... gview.aspx

Open it. Pull down Edit/Filter Highlight. Change the Include field to DGIndexNV instead of *. Then OK. Then Edit/Clear Display and leave it open.

Then get the test build (32 bit):

http://rationalqm.us/misc/DGIndexNV_Sharc.exe

Then make the problem happen and tell me if any messages are generated in the Dbgview window.

Thank you.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

When DGIndexNV_Sharc.exe starts correctly I get in the debug window like:
33 213.08460999 [9236] DGIndexNV ref 5

When it fails to start I get nothing.
admin

Post by admin »

You shouldn't see ref 5 until you exit. Is that the case?

Standby for another test build...
admin

Post by admin »

Please re-download the test build and report the results.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

When it starts OR fails to start:
ref 10
ref 11
ref 12
ref 13

ref 5 when it exits after a successful start
admin

Post by admin »

OK, that shows that the OS is at least starting DGIndexNV. Now we have to see where and why it is killing itself.

Please re-download and test again. Thank you.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Successful start:
ref 10 ..... ref 21
Exit:
ref 5

Fail to start:
ref 10 ..... ref 15 (ref 16 ... ref 21 are missing)
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

No rush. Enjoy the pool. (It's already dark and cold here....)
admin

Post by admin »

Getting closer. Please redownload and test again.

I'll have to be away coaching at the pool for a few hours starting at about 12:20. But I'll get right back on it at my return. We should be able to nail this down with a few more iterations.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Successful:
ref 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,40,41,42 Exit: ref 5

Failure:
ref 10,11,12,13,14,15
admin

Post by admin »

Oh, ExitProcess(), that's how I punish reverse engineers, but here it's the honorable Sharc, so I must have messed up.

Aha, I think I've got it! Standby for a test build with a fix.

Uninitialised local variable. I must have been ethanol-coding that day and drifted slightly below the sweet spot. A slightly higher BAC would have avoided this failure. https://www.targetprocess.com/blog/2014 ... love-beer/

admin

Post by admin »

OK, please redownload the Sharc test build and report. I am optimistic that it is fixed. :lol:

If it's OK I will make a slipstream.