[RESOLVED] Dot artefacts when opening VOBs in DGIndexNV

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
UncleBob

[RESOLVED] Dot artefacts when opening VOBs in DGIndexNV

Post by UncleBob »

Hi,

I'm using DGIndexNV version 2034. Today I tried for the first time to open some VOBs and found out there are dot artefacts on the picture of greeny and blacky colors. It doesn't depend on what particular VOB I'm opening, I tried about 5 from different DVDs of various formats so far, all have those dots. When I specify any deinterlace, these dots can become lines, and it's not only in DGIndexNV, but when after saving a project I open AVS, dots are coming there too and as a result, encoded video gets corrupted as well.

I have surrounded some of the artefacts on screenshot. There are more of them if you zoom in.

Is there anything I can try/check?
admin

Re: Dot artefacts when opening VOBs in DGIndexNV

Post by admin »

First, please use the correct forum in the future. I've moved this to the DGDecNV forum.

Second, I need you to post a link to an unprocessed VOB sample that I can use to recreate the problem. You can use DGSplit to cut it. Upload it to mediafire.com and post the link here.

Third state your graphics card details and NV driver details.

Thank you.
DAE avatar
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Hi,

Sorry for wrong forum...

I've managed to find a small VOB, here's the link http://www.mediafire.com/?fi0y3w968m9cwuw

As I said, I have this problem with every other VOB opened. Here's the screenshot from the VOB I uploaded, you can see the dots:

I have nVidia GeForce GTS 450 (Device ID ODC4, Rev. A1), driver 8.17.12.5922 under Windows 2008 Server R2 (64bit)

Cheerz,
Bob
admin

Post by admin »

I cannot duplicate that so I suppose you have a hardware or driver problem.
DAE avatar
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

I wish I could try another OS here, but unfortunately cannot...

Do you know if it's somehow possible to utilize nVidia card under guest OS under Win 2008 Hyper-V?
admin

Post by admin »

UncleBob wrote:Do you know if it's somehow possible to utilize nVidia card under guest OS under Win 2008 Hyper-V?
I don't know anything about that, sorry. I suppose you'll have to ask Nvidia support about it.

One thing to try is 258.96 driver as the newer ones have caused issues for some people.
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

neuron2 wrote:
UncleBob wrote:One thing to try is 258.96 driver as the newer ones have caused issues for some people.
Or update to latest 260.99 which has driverver 8.17.12.6099? Maybe the OP's 8.17.12.5922 was some interim/beta version since afaik the last official release 258.96 had 8.17.12.5896.

I just updated to 260.99 and will be giving DGDecNV a try w/it shortly. :holdsbreath:
DAE avatar
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Hi,

Thanks for your response, been away for a while... Now I'm back to the subject, as I discovered some more stuff... It suddenly appeared that AVC sources also started to have this problem. I wasn't playing with encode since the time I discovered that weird thing with VOBs. Before that I got no problem with AVC sources. Right now I don't have any VC1 sources to check if they look the same poor.

I have installed the latest nvidia drivers 8.17.12.6099 as well as DL'ed the latest DGDecNV. Still having this problem. But... I have a pretty old version of DGAVCIndexNV 1.0.1 and it shows no dots when opening AVC, just fine...

I remember now I had to regenerate the license (for some reason first one stopped working), probably after that I got these ugly dots, I'm not sure... At least I never tried to encode anything after I changed the license. :roll:
DAE avatar
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

So can it be somehow related to a licensing stuff?
admin

Post by admin »

It has nothing to do with licensing. Your video driver must be hosed.
DAE avatar
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

But it was working fine before I had to regenerate the license and older version of DGAVCIndexNV still displays no dots... I actually don't know why the old license suddenly stopped working by the way. I didn't change any hardware in my computer since the time I bought it. I remember we discussed it by e-mail, that's where it finally appeared the license was wrong. Anyway, now I'm lost in what else I can try to get it working back.
admin

Post by admin »

UncleBob wrote:DGAVCIndexNV still displays no dots...
Please post a screenshot of the About box from this program.
DAE avatar
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

admin

Post by admin »

And you claim that your video shows no dots with that (right now, not in the past) but does show dots with DGIndexNV 2036?

If that is true then the only thing I can think of is that the NV12 --> RGB24 CUDA kernel is failing on your specific hardware/driver combination.
DAE avatar
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

OK, the situation is: DGAVCIndexNV was always fine. Well, I cannot say always, coz I was playing with it a just a few days before purchasing 2036. 2036 was fine a few days I played with, but then suddenly it required new license, as old one stopped working (not sure what happened). Then I haven't been doing any video encoding for 1.5-2 weeks and when I tried again (with DVD), it started to show these dots. Because before it was fine with AVC and VC1, I had decided it was a VOB-specific problem, but later I found out it happens with any kind of source. At the same time CoreAVC, DXVA, everything (including DGAVCIndexNV) is working just fine on this machine.

I wish I could reinstall everything starting from the OS, but there's some services running on this machine which should be available anytime :cry:

Any idea how I can change my hardware settings to require new system id? Still wanna try to change the license one more time...
admin

Post by admin »

I think you must have created DLL hell. Search your hard disk for old copies of my DLLs. Remove them and DGAVCDecNV completely. Reinstall the Nvidia drivers. Run DGIndexNV. Does it still show dots?

Also, do the dots show in DGIndexNV, the served video, or both?
admin

Post by admin »

That DGAVCDecNV you are running. Is that a pirated version? I can't find any registration for the machine code you gave. I don't care since you donated, but you have to get rid of that thing; I won't be responsible if you have that on your system.
DAE avatar
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

neuron2 wrote:I think you must have created DLL hell. Search your hard disk for old copies of my DLLs. Remove them and DGAVCDecNV completely. Reinstall the Nvidia drivers. Run DGIndexNV. Does it still show dots?
OK, I will proceed now, however I've got both versions in their own folders and a copy of DLL in AviSynth plugins. They have different names, DGDecodeNV.dll and DGAVCDecodeNV.dll so it's ok I guess... Just checked the whole HDD for copies of these DLLs and didn't find any.
neuron2 wrote:Also, do the dots show in DGIndexNV, the served video, or both?
Both
neuron2 wrote:That DGAVCDecNV you are running. Is that a pirated version? I can't find any registration for the machine code you gave. I don't care since you donated, but you have to get rid of that thing; I won't be responsible if you have that on your system.
Yeah, you remember right. Now I'm just checking if the video running fine there. I'm not planning to use it anyway.
DAE avatar
kypec

Post by kypec »

Machine ID can change even if you did not change any HW components in your system. Once I connect to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) my Machine ID changes. This is not a real problem, it's just that user must be aware of that and have two licenses generated - one for plain Machine ID (when no VPN connection is active) and the other one for VPN activated. That way I can use DGIndex/DGDecode always and don't have to care about actual VPN status.
DAE avatar
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Oh, thanks about this VPN tip. From time to time I have VPN active. When it's active I can use originally obtained license.

Anyway, nothing really helped me there... Deleted all DGDecNV files, completely reinstalled the driver, still got this prob... Ahh well, time to give up

UPD: Well, I disassembled the computer, cleaned it a bit inside, replaced old fans with new ones, added a few hdd fans, assembled the stuff back and the problem went away. Definitely a hardware problem. Thanks for pointing me to the right direction 8-)
admin

Re: [SOLVED] Dot artefacts when opening VOBs in DGIndexNV

Post by admin »

I've now seen this once too. A hard power cycle of my PC fixed it. I assume the graphics card got into some weird state.
DAE avatar
UncleBob

Re: [RESOLVED] Dot artefacts when opening VOBs in DGIndexNV

Post by UncleBob »

I'm having this issue again... Jeez, gonna reassemble the PC again.