[CLOSED] Survey: Who still needs Avisynth 2.58 support in DGDecodeNV?

Support forum for DGDecNV
admin

[CLOSED] Survey: Who still needs Avisynth 2.58 support in DGDecodeNV?

Post by admin »

I am considering dropping 2.58 support and going with 2.6 headers to allow Vapoursynth to load 64-bit DGDecodeNV. Whosoever objects to this please come forward and state your case.
DAE avatar
sparktank

Re: Survey: Who still needs Avisynth 2.58 support in DGDecodeNV?

Post by sparktank »

I myself have strayed entirely away from AVS258.
I don't even use the 258 build that SVP provides.

I use either AVS260_MT or AVSPLUS_x86.
These days, with AVSPLUS getting a lot of updates, I've been using the latest test build without problems.

Eventually, I'll look into x64 use.
And eventually even try out VS.It's a brand new language so I'll have to get used to seeing a lot of examples of how things actually work out.

My laptop also uses AVS260_MT only (if it's used at all).
Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 | GPU Caps Viewer
Windows 10 Annversary (x64) | ASVPlus_x64
Region A/R1
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the information sparktank. That's two no's so far (you and me).
admin

Post by admin »

If you don't use Avisynth 2.5x it doesn't have any relevance. I thought those two might be related, i.e., XP holdouts may be 2.5x holdouts as well, but if not, then wonderful.
DAE avatar
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives »

Yeah, I don't think XP support is a factor here, as VFW is available on XP. AviSynth 2.6 changes and updates a lot of things on the AVS side of things, but the OS doesn't really care if you use 2.6 or 2.5.8. Considering you can even compile AviSynth with something as old as MSVC1998 (and judging by that page, nothing newer than MSVC2010), I think XP support is safe for a while. ;)

IIRC the only time I used 2.5.8 was when 2.6 was either not out yet or was very new and not well supported. I currently don't know of any reason why somebody would install 2.5.8 instead of 2.6. I guess there may be some archaic plugins that won't work on 2.6, but I don't have any.
DAE avatar
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives »

As a worst-case scenario, you could keep a copy of the final DGDecNV binary that supports 2.5.8 and allow registered users to request it if they have some specific need for 2.5.8 support, and then you can move ahead with 2.6 support in newer DGDecNV builds. There's no need to keep old source of that version or provide new fixes for it -- just provide it as-is if somebody has to use 2.5.8 to support some necessary plugin. If they're still using 2.5.8, they probably won't need the new features of the more recent DGDecNV versions, anyway.
admin

Post by admin »

Aleron Ives wrote:As a worst-case scenario, you could keep a copy of the final DGDecNV binary that supports 2.5.8 and allow registered users to request it if they have some specific need for 2.5.8 support, and then you can move ahead with 2.6 support in newer DGDecNV builds. There's no need to keep old source of that version or provide new fixes for it -- just provide it as-is if somebody has to use 2.5.8 to support some necessary plugin. If they're still using 2.5.8, they probably won't need the new features of the more recent DGDecNV versions, anyway.
I fully agree. I already have a few older versions in the binaries area, so people can pick what they want.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

Oh dear I use TSP's 2.57 Mt and had no intention of changing as it's been reliable. I'd also looked at vapoursynth and had decided against it.
Re: Binaries Update Notification Thread
Unread postby admin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:13 am
A release candidate for DGDecNV 2052 is available in the binaries area. This version is built with Avisynth 2.6 compatibility and does not support 2.5x.
Does this mean new DGDecodeNV versions will no longer available for me ?
I really do like it here.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

admin wrote:
Groucho2004 wrote:As for AVS 2.5x support - dump it.
I only know of two guys on D9 who still use it, one still uses Gordian Knot to convert videos (!) and the other thinks he cannot live without the MT() multi-threading plugin.
LOL. I know who the second guy is.
That's likely me.

Any pointers to a reliable 2.6 avisynth version with MT would be appreciated.
I really do like it here.
admin

Post by admin »

Yes, you're the guy. :D Avisynth+ r2085 works great for me and others.

https://cloud.pados.hu/index.php/s/0e0d ... 11731699b6

See if you can figure out how to download just r2085. It took me a little :scratch: .
DAE avatar
DynamicSounds

Post by DynamicSounds »

I'm pretty sure the decision to drop AVS 2.5 has already been made but I just want to give my 2 cents. Drop it!! :D

Hi Don, I don't visit here often but just want to say thanks for your continued support. DGDecodeNV and DGMPGDec are simply the most reliable source filters for AviSynth! Bar none.

- Reel.Deal
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

After lot of testing and bug reports, I jumped to AVS+.

Anyhow... I used 2.6 since a long time :)

No 2.58 needed for me.

Will test release candidate ASAP.
admin

Post by admin »

DynamicSounds wrote:I'm pretty sure the decision to drop AVS 2.5 has already been made but I just want to give my 2 cents. Drop it!! :D
Real.Deal, it's a Done.Deal. :lol:
Hi Don, I don't visit here often but just want to say thanks for your continued support. DGDecodeNV and DGMPGDec are simply the most reliable source filters for AviSynth! Bar none.
Thanks, I appreciate that so much.
admin

Post by admin »

Guest 2 wrote: Will test release candidate ASAP.
Thanks, Guest 2, looking forward to your results. The main thing is to get the 64-bit DLL tested under VapourSynth.
MeteorRain

Post by MeteorRain »

Having been using avs plus for long and I'm happy with that stability. Good to see you dropping the old APIs.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:
Guest 2 wrote: Will test release candidate ASAP.
Thanks, Guest 2, looking forward to your results. The main thing is to get the 64-bit DLL tested under VapourSynth.
Tested latest and previous version with Divergent 3 — Allegiant. Not a great movie but it was the only BD I had at home :D

Result is excellent, as always. No artifacts, no visual differences.

The funny thing about same encoding of same movie with same script is that they always have different sizes. :lol:

For us who keep on using AVS(+), what is the main difference in using a 2.6 plugin instead of a 2.58 one?
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

hydra3333 wrote: Any pointers to a reliable 2.6 avisynth version with MT would be appreciated.
First, remove/uninstall your actual avisynth.

Get this installer here https://github.com/AviSynth/AviSynthPlu ... -r1576.exe
Run/Install it.

Get the last version, 2085 here https://cloud.pados.hu/index.php/s/0e0d ... 11731699b6.
If you are using a 32 bit Windows version :
Copy the avisynth.dll from /i386 directory in your Windows/System32 directory.
Copy the DevIl.dll from /i386/system directory in your Windows/System32 directory.
Copy all the dll from the /i386/plugins directory in the Programmes/Avisynth+/plugins+ directory.
Copy all your actual x86 plugins in the Programmes/Avisynth+/plugins directory.

If you are using a 64 bit Windows version :
Copy the avisynth.dll from /i386 directory in your Windows/SysWOW64 directory.
Copy the DevIl.dll from /i386/system directory in your Windows/SysWOW64 directory.
Copy all the dll from the /i386/plugins directory in the Program Files (x86)/Avisynth+/plugins+ directory.
Copy all your actual x86 plugins in the Program Files (x86)/Avisynth+/plugins directory.
Copy the avisynth.dll from /x64 directory in your Windows/System32 directory.
Copy the DevIl.dll from /x64/system directory in your Windows/System32 directory.
Copy all the dll from the /x64/plugins directory in the Program Files (x86)/Avisynth+/plugins64+ directory.
Copy all your actual x64 plugins in the Program Files (x86)/Avisynth+/plugins64 directory.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

jpsdr wrote:Get this installer here https://github.com/AviSynth/AviSynthPlu ... -r1576.exe
Run/Install it.
There is a r2022 installer here https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrh84z02sm2hp ... 22.7z?dl=0.

If you need VC runtimes, get them from here http://repacks.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=125.
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, guys, for your help in documenting things for people.

Guest 2 wrote:

"For us who keep on using AVS(+), what is the main difference in using a 2.6 plugin instead of a 2.58 one?"

As a source plugin that delivers only YV12, not much. The only thing I am aware of is that VapourSynth can load Avisynth 32-bit 2.5 plugins, whereas it cannot load 64-bit ones. So those needing a full 64-bit workflow for VapourSynth can now use DGDecNV.
DJATOM

Post by DJATOM »

I'm using Avs+ x64, my filtering chain works faster with it.
PC: RTX 2070 | Ryzen R9 5950X (no OC) | 64 GB RAM
Notebook: RTX 4060 | Ryzen R9 7945HX | 32 GB RAM
DAE avatar
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives »

Out of curiosity, why do people want a 64-bit processing chain? The only benefit I can think of is that you would need > 4 GiB of memory to encode UHD videos, but is there some other reason? I'm not aware of x64 providing any extra speed for this kind of application. If Avs+ is generally faster than vanilla AviSynth, it's too bad that the official branch has lagged behind all the offshoots, as it would be nice to have a single branch with all of the speed and features grouped together.
DAE avatar
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives »

Thanks, I didn't know that there was a speed difference between x86 and x64 x264, as I haven't followed its development very closely. I guess I won't be able to switch unless Don feels like making an x64 version of Decomb some day, as that's one of my most-used plugins. :D
admin

Post by admin »

Wow, how lucky we are to have all you clever people contributing your knowledge and wisdom. I love you guys. :bravo: