[RESOLVED] DGIndexNV.ini GTX 1070 XTREME best cuda use

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
pacoor

Re: DGIndexNV.ini GTX 1070 XTREME best cuda use

Post by pacoor »

admin wrote:Working great now! Thanks for your testing, Sir. :bravo:
thanks!

Could you help me to get the most GPU process, instead of the CPU?
admin

Re: [RESOLVED] DGIndexNV.ini GTX 1070 XTREME best cuda use

Post by admin »

I already explained it. Didn't you read it?

Use DXVA mode as described in the manual. You'll lose some FPS, however. You'll also be limited to one instance of DGSource() in your script.

Set these in the DGIndexNV.ini file:

UseD3D=1

Decode_Modes=2,2,2,2
DAE avatar
pacoor

Post by pacoor »

admin wrote:I already explained it. Didn't you read it?

Use DXVA mode as described in the manual. You'll lose some FPS, however. You'll also be limited to one instance of DGSource() in your script.

Set these in the DGIndexNV.ini file:

UseD3D=1

Decode_Modes=2,2,2,2
I have no idea to handle your program, so. :lol:
ok I will try their config in .ini
admin

Post by admin »

pacoor wrote:I have no idea to handle your program, so.
It's all explained in my brilliantly written users manuals. :wow:

I suppose the English is an obstacle for you. OK, no problem, just post here and we'll all help you. You seem like a great guy.

Thank you for your interest in my tools.
DAE avatar
pacoor

Post by pacoor »

admin wrote:
pacoor wrote:I have no idea to handle your program, so.
It's all explained in my brilliantly written users manuals. :wow:

I suppose the English is an obstacle for you. OK, no problem, just post here and we'll all help you. You seem like a great guy.

Thank you for your interest in my tools.
yes english ...... :roll:

I do not understand, or even nvidia drivers are not very compatible with 1070 gtx, or not explain.
admin

Post by admin »

Forgot to tell you that DXVA mode works only on Win 7 and Win 8/8.1. Sorry but it is an nVidia limitation. 9% CPU for 2160p is pretty damn good, IMHO, so don't be sad.
DAE avatar
pacoor

Post by pacoor »

admin wrote:DXVA mode works only on Win 7 and Win 8. Sorry but it is an nVidia limitation.

try to reinstall the previous version
admin

Post by admin »

It works fine on 7/8/8.1. On my main development machine I use 8.1. I hope to be able to ditch my GWX defenses any day now. :twisted:

Before going to all the trouble of reverting your OS, however, I would run AVSMeter tests to see if you can live with CUVID/CUDA mode on your system. Tell us about your use case; maybe we can have other suggestions for you. Maybe some multi-threading, etc.

Good luck, my friend.
DAE avatar
pacoor

Post by pacoor »

admin wrote:It works fine on 7/8/8.1. On my main development machine I use 8.1. I hope to be able to ditch my GWX defenses any day now. :twisted:

Before going to all the trouble of reverting your OS, however, I would run AVSMeter tests to see if you can live with CUVID/CUDA mode on your system. Tell us about your use case; maybe we can have other suggestions for you. Maybe some multi-threading, etc.

Good luck, my friend.
I tried to download AVS Meter, but I have problems with x64 avisynth :bug:

thanks, tomorrow I will try other things.
DAE avatar
pacoor

Post by pacoor »

yes i new in new to Avisynth processing :)
try to reinstall Avisynth tomorrow. Thanks Donald!
DAE avatar
pacoor

Post by pacoor »

i have installed the last package Anon17 r2085 binaries https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6yg2cc900tkc ... 85.7z?dl=0 and avsmeter 2.3.4 from http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=165528

:scratch:
DAE avatar
pacoor

Post by pacoor »

hello|

ImageImage

I try to use mediacoder and see the gpu is working very well, accelerating the process almost 16x

with bdrebuilder and DGIndexNV 2052 only 6% load gpu :(
DAE avatar
aceado

Post by aceado »

the first thing you need to understand is the first picture is showing that its using the NVENC which is the builtin hardware encoder so yes it will be faster....
best way to find out if it is using gpu to the fullist is to load up a video directly into dgnv itself goto video > disable display then click play if your fps is around ~700 fps then its all fine since this is showing you how fast and able your 1070 is at decoding however in the pictures above its showing your only encoding at 32 fps which is why you would be seeing ~6% video useage
admin

Post by admin »

aceado is correct. DGDecNV accelerates only the decoding, not the encoding. Try his suggestion while monitoring GPU usage.

What I typically do is run my Avisynth script with AVSMeter. Either way will give you useful statistics.

Perhaps BDRebuilder can also be configured to use NVENC, I don't know. If it uses only a SW encoder then it is expected that the GPU utilization will be much lower, because most of the real time is spent doing software things, not GPU things.

It seems to me that you should focus on maximizing the transcoding frame rate (which determines how long the job will take) rather than the GPU usage. They may be related but it is not a straightforward relation.
DAE avatar
aceado

Post by aceado »

thank you admin! both a avisynth script and using avsmeter and this this method should yeilf the same result depeg how the use wants to go about it... for me this way is more to the point (quicker lol) the latter would be the true decoding speed before any filters are added

here's a quick small video showing you that it does fully work just fine. the first video is h264 full hd (1920x1080) and the second video is mpeg also full hd (1920x1080) you'll see if i play it i also see about ~6% video useage

the decoding speeds in the video shows its able to decode h264 at ~756fps and mpeg2 ~854fps in this example

http://www29.zippyshare.com/v/ykcaJml6/file.html
admin

Post by admin »

Nice, thank you, aceado.

I had a lot higher GPU utilization because I used a 4K stream.

You can see from the video that you get a very high frame rate, despite the relatively low GPU use, which illustrates the point I made about it. All that remaining GPU is available for your encoding, if you have a workflow that can use it.
DAE avatar
pacoor

Post by pacoor »

aceado wrote:the first thing you need to understand is the first picture is showing that its using the NVENC which is the builtin hardware encoder so yes it will be faster....
best way to find out if it is using gpu to the fullist is to load up a video directly into dgnv itself goto video > disable display then click play if your fps is around ~700 fps then its all fine since this is showing you how fast and able your 1070 is at decoding however in the pictures above its showing your only encoding at 32 fps which is why you would be seeing ~6% video useage

admin

Post by admin »

1257 fps is awesome for 720p video. I get 338 fps for 720p on my GT 620.

I ask that you do not discuss torrent files here. Please use public-domain files or files from legitimately owned sources. You put my forum at risk otherwise. Full HD or 4K will give you better insight into performance. Thank you.
DAE avatar
pacoor

Post by pacoor »

admin wrote:1257 fps is a pretty decent frame rate for 720 video. I get 338 fps for 720p on my GT 620.

I prefer that you do not discuss torrent files here. Please use files you rip from legitimately owned sources. Full HD or 4K will give you better insight into performance. Thank you.
ok sorry , :bow:

It would not be possible to use or add NVENC to DGIndexNV, or something imposible¿?
DAE avatar
aceado

Post by aceado »

as you can see from both the video that i posted and the picture you have shown there is some sort of bottleneck
the decoding the video isn't your issue here nor is it the bottleneck the main issue is normally down to how fast the cpu is able encode it at which for alot of users this would be the case since we can't encode at since a high rate same as the decoding speed nevermind 200 fps lol (maybe for really low res video)
DAE avatar
pacoor

Post by pacoor »

aceado wrote:as you can see from both the video that i posted and the picture you have shown there is some sort of bottleneck
the decoding the video isn't your issue here nor is it the bottleneck the main issue is normally down to how fast the cpu is able encode it at which for alot of users this would be the case since we can't encode at since a high rate same as the decoding speed nevermind 200 fps lol (maybe for really low res video)
aceado, that processor and motherboard you have?
admin

Post by admin »

pacoor wrote:It would not be possible to use or add NVENC to DGIndexNV, or something impossible?
DGDecNV is a decoding application. I am not interested in making a full transcoding application.

What you should do is see if BDRebuilder can use NVENC for the encoding part of the process. I emphasize this because you do not seem to have realized the importance of this point about decoding versus encoding.

aceado is quite correct that decoding is almost always a small part of the overall load. Quite often I get emails expressing disappointment that DGDecNV has not significantly accelerated transcodes (transcoding means decoding plus encoding together). But I have always claimed that it can do so only when the encoding load is small, such as for low-resolution videos and minimal filtering. The desirable advantages of DGDecNV lie in other areas, such as robust random frame access, access to HW post-processing, consistent handling of different video types, diverse container support, etc.
DAE avatar
aceado

Post by aceado »

pacoor wrote: aceado, that processor and motherboard you have?
the cpu and the motherboard wouldn't matter for encoding as for encoding videos even if its 6, 8 or even 10 cores there's still gonna be the same result of the bottleneck being the cpu not being able to keep up with the decoding speed of the gpu i'm 100% sure admin will fully agree on this
admin

Post by admin »

Can't fully agree with that, perhaps because you did not express yourself clearly. If the encode is done in the CPU, then obviously a better CPU/more cores can increase transcoding performance. Maybe you meant it can't increase specifically the GPU decoding performance (or perhaps only trivially), which I do agree with.
admin

Post by admin »

The error is that he tries to use 64-bit meter with 32-bit Avisynth installed. I add that because it is only implicit in your post, and perhaps he doesn't realize the two have to match, even though I have previously told him that everything must be in 64-bit for a 64-bit workflow.

Of course everything you say about getting the right Avisynth installed is spot on.