[RESOLVED] Problems using AVS Templates with 2052 DGIndex GUI.

Support forum for DGDecNV
gaak

[RESOLVED] Problems using AVS Templates with 2052 DGIndex GUI.

Post by gaak »

Hi,

I have 16 AVS script templates that I use with the DGIndex GUI and have found these problems:
1. An existing script does not get overwritten when a new one is selected. The old one has to be deleted first.
2. The list of AVS templates does not work properly after the 10th template in the list. That is, if I select template 11 or higher, go back to "AVS Template" and then select template 13, templates 11 and 13 remain checked and 11 gets used. If I toggle "Enable template" just the correct template is checked and used.

Please let me know if you need more info.
Thanks.
admin

Re: Problems using AVS Templates with 2052 DGIndex GUI.

Post by admin »

Hi,

Thanks for the report. I will fix it up for you.

For number 1 can you give me a sequence of steps and tell me what you think should happen versus what does happen?
admin

Post by admin »

Possibly, but it's not clear to me what OP means by "when a new one is selected". That option controls if DGIndexNV is allowed to overwrite when it completes a Save Project operation. Those two don't seem to be the same to me, so I asked for clarification.
admin

Post by admin »

I have #2 fixed. I just need a clarification of #1 now.
gaak

Post by gaak »

admin wrote:For number 1 can you give me a sequence of steps and tell me what you think should happen versus what does happen?
Sure,

1. I select template 1.
2. Open the file and save the project. The file gets indexed.
3. View the AVS script, confirm it's from template 1.
4. Oops, wrong template, go back and select template 2.
5. Open the file and save the project a second time. The files gets indexed.
6. View the AVS script, it's from template 1, not template 2.

I thought that if I select template 2, then template 2 would show up as the AVS script on the 2nd try.
admin

Post by admin »

You have to have the Overwrite existing script box checked. Do you? I cannot reproduce the problem if it is checked.

I noticed that the file list does not get numerically sorted. I don't think I'll bother with that, though.
admin

Post by admin »

Please note my edit above. If you confirm it works with the box checked I'll make a slipstream for the other issue. When I previously increased the number of files from 10 to 20, I missed one affected line. Oops.
gaak

Post by gaak »

admin wrote:You have to have the Overwrite existing script box checked. Do you? I cannot reproduce the problem if it is checked.

I noticed that the file list does not get numerically sorted. I don't think I'll bother with that, though.
Yes, I had checked the "Overwrite existing script" box in the in the template settings window. That's the first thing I looked for. It doesn't happen for you? Odd.

Also, I wasn't looking to get the list numerically sorted, sorry if i gave that impression.

EDIT : Just checked again. The box *is* checked, but after trying it 5 more times, it doesn't *always* happen. I'll see if i can get a more specific set of circumstances.
EDIT 3: Got it. Compiling steps now...
gaak

Post by gaak »

Test 1 -

Conditions:
Have an existing AVS script with the same name in the directory.

Steps:
1. Select template 9.
2. Run index.

My result: Script doesn't change.

Test 2 -

Conditions:
Leave script from Test 1.

Steps:
1.Don't change selected template. That is, still use template 9.
2. Select file. Run index.

My result: Script changes to template selected in Test 1 (template 9).

Test 3 -

Conditions:
Leave script from Test 2.

Steps:
1. Select template 1.

Test 4 -

Conditions:
Leave script from Test 3.

Steps:
1. Select template 1.

Test 5 -

Conditions:
Leave script from Test 4.

Steps:
1.Don't change selected template. That is, still use template 1.

My result: Script changes to template selected in Test 4 (template 1).

Whew, hope this helps...
admin

Post by admin »

I can't duplicate that but I have the fix for #2. Maybe it affects things.

Please re-download 2052 and try again with the #2 fix.

Be patient, we'll get to the bottom of this. :scratch:

You're staying in DGIndexNV throughout, not exiting and reopening, right?
gaak

Post by gaak »

admin wrote:You're staying in DGIndexNV throughout, not exiting and reopening, right?
Uh, nope. Haven't tried that. I will, but I have to go out for dinner and watching my grand daughter tonight. ASAP.
admin

Post by admin »

You exit DGIndexNV every time? I haven't tried that yet. Will do.

EDIT: Can't make it fail, no matter what I do.
admin

Post by admin »

In the directory with the templates, do you have any other files, such as .avsi files?
gaak

Post by gaak »

admin wrote:In the directory with the templates, do you have any other files, such as .avsi files?
No. But I think I see the underlying problem. The file *does* change but it is changed to the *previous* selection. Not the current selection.
Meaning, if I select template 1 but have the script from template 3 already in the directory. When I run the index the file time stamp changes but not the content of the file. If I then start DGIndex again and leave the script in the directory, but this time select template 7 and run the index, the file from template 3 will show up with a new time stamp. If I run index again with yet another template the script will be the one from template 7. Always one behind.

I select the template from the DGIndex GUI window before I open the Explorer window to select the video file to index. Should I have been selecting the video file first and *then* the avs template?
admin

Post by admin »

It doesn't matter when you open the file.

Exactly how do you select the template?

I cannot duplicate your report. I select the template by checking the template from the menu drop down, not by going into settings. If you do the same you could select from the drop down and then go into settings and see if the right file is shown before doing save project.

There is nothing in the code that could remember your previous setting.
gaak

Post by gaak »

admin wrote:There is nothing in the code that could remember your previous setting.
Then there's only one answer, it's my system. This is not the first time my machine and yours have differed in how the GUI performs. When I was using Windows 8 the GUI would crash and you couldn't replicate the problem. I remember you told me it was Microsoft's compiler of the time and MS wouldn't release a fix. With Win 10 everything changed and the GUI worked, until this. Thank goodness it's not a show stopper. All I have to do is delete the script first, then index. For the heck-of-it I'm going to install the software on my wife's pristine new Win 10 home-office system and see what happens. Thank you for your efforts, at least one bug was real.
admin

Post by admin »

If you have the time I'd like you to try what I suggested in my last post. Choose the template and then go into settings and verify that the file and directory are correct in there before doing save project. If so, then that is what is used when the save project ends and the AVS file is created. There is no memory of past settings. Also, check that your methodology to identify the used template is correct. I have this in each of my templates:

# template7.avs
etc.

Meanwhile I will perform an exhaustive code review today with your symptoms in mind.

Thanks for your patience and for bringing this to light.
gaak

Post by gaak »

admin wrote:If you have the time I'd like you to try what I suggested in my last post. Choose the template and then go into settings and verify that the file and directory are correct in there before doing save project. If so, then that is what is used when the save project ends and the AVS file is created. There is no memory of past settings. Also, check that your methodology to identify the used template is correct. I have this in each of my templates:

# template7.avs
etc.

Meanwhile I will perform an exhaustive code review today with your symptoms in mind.

Thanks for your patience and for bringing this to light.
Thank you for the time spent.

Yes, I have done the above and verified I was selecting the correct template. But one more thing. I looked at the DGIndexNV.ini file. What I saw was the "AVS_Template_File=720p AVS Script.avs" parameter didn't change to the template I currently chose *until* I closed and reopened DGIndexNV.exe. That is, when I chose template "1080p AVS Script.avs" I still got "720p AVS Script.avs". The ini file didn't change until I closed and reopened DGIndexNV. Then the parameter changed to "1080p AVS Script.avs". And when I indexed the video file the AVS script changed to
"1080p AVS Script.avs". Could this be the "memory" you were looking for? This behavior matches the "one-behind" problem of not changing the file until the next try at indexing.
admin

Post by admin »

Nice try but no cigar. Sure the last one is stored in the INI file when you exit. But that setting is read back into the template settings only when DGIndexNV starts and is not used again thereafter. So if you start DGIndexNV and then select a new template, the memory of it is overwritten in DGIndexNV memory (i.e., the file field of the settings dialog) and the newly selected template is used for the following save project. Bottom line: if you select a template in DGIndexNV and then do save project, that template setting is used, being read from the field in the settings dialog.

You use only the GUI and not the CLI, right?

Meanwhile let me cook up a way to give you a debug load that will help us. I can pop up a dialog giving the path and file that is being opened as the template at the end of save project, for example.
gaak

Post by gaak »

admin wrote:Hmm, I found something strange that might affect this. Standby...
OK.
admin

Post by admin »

False alarm, it is OK and works as I described.

I will make a debug build for you. Meanwhile, can you post your full INI file?
admin

Post by admin »

Really need to see that INI file and for you to tell me you don't use CLI. ;)
admin

Post by admin »

People always go away just when I need them. :(
gaak

Post by gaak »

admin wrote:People always go away just when I need them. :(
Sorry, went out to dinner again. No, I'm not using the CLI in this case.

Here's the ini file:

Code: Select all

Version=DGIndexNV 2052
Window_Position=246,168
Info_Window_Position=892,168
Process_Priority=2
Playback_Speed=3
AVS_Template_Folder=C:\HQ Encoder NV\AVS Script Templates
AVS_Template_File=720p AVS Script.avs
AVS_Enable_Template=1
AVS_Overwrite=1
Full_Path_In_Files=1
MRUList[0]=C:\Input Files\Input_File.h264
MRUList[1]=C:\Input Files\Input_File.dgi
MRUList[2]=C:\Input Files\Input_File.avs
MRUList[3]=C:\MKVideo Files\Input_Video_File.h264
Enable_Info_Log=0
Loop_Playback=0
AVC_Extension=264
MPG_Extension=m2v
VC1_Extension=vc1
HEVC_Extension=265
Deinterlace=0
UsePF=0
AlwaysCrop=1
UseD3D=0
Snapped=1
ResponseOnAudioMismatch=0
Enable_Audio_Demux=1
CUDA_Device=255
Decode_Modes=0,0,0,0
Full_Info=1
Bare_Demux=0
Disable_Encrypted_Audio_Warning=0
Fine_Cropping=0
Force_Zoom=0
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, gaak. Checking some things and then will make a debug build for you. I want to get to the bottom of this!