[RESOLVED] DGIndexNV blowing up in strange ways

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
TCmullet

[RESOLVED] DGIndexNV blowing up in strange ways

Post by TCmullet »

I have a series of videos that are AVC (H.264) that are causing DGIndexNV to blow up immediately or give an immediate strange error or effect. May I upload to my server probably 3 of them and you see if you can figure why they are failing? They are each 1.5 to 2.5 GB each, but I don't mind providing them. But as they are large, I'd like to wait til you tell me you'll retrieve them before I upload them.

2016-08-27.1230.wv.CO-v-PortSt.720p.bsk.flv
This one causes an immediate "DGIndexNV.exe has stopped working".

2016-09-09.2100.wv.MO-v-IdSt.720p.bsk.flv
This one opens, but your window (the one with the Japanese girl) instantly shrinks down to a tiny window about 1.5 inches square

2016-09-10.2100.wv.BYU-v-IdSt.720p.bsk.flv
This one give the error "Mpeg1 not supported. Exiting..." and then hangs the program. (It does not exit.)

These (obviously) are FLV files with AVC-H.264 video. Audio is AAC. Framerate is variable.
admin

Re: DGIndexNV blowing up in strange ways

Post by admin »

DGDecNV does not support FLV files. You'll have to demux the video.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Re: [RESOLVED] DGIndexNV blowing up in strange ways

Post by TCmullet »

Oh, I thought as long as it was H.264... But I see you do take elementary streams. Can you please recommend a good and reliable FLV demuxer?? (I hope you don't recommend AviDemux as it blows up in middle.) Also, I HATE variable frame rate video (VFR), yet I'm forced to deal with it by receiving these videos. Can DGIndexNV/DGDecodeNV work with VFR and do so successfully?
admin

Post by admin »

FLVExtract.

I cannot help you with VFR. Try http://forum.videohelp.com/
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

admin wrote:FLVExtract.

I cannot help you with VFR. Try http://forum.videohelp.com/
Thanks for the extract reference.

Uh, please tell me what you mean by not help with VFR. Are you saying that DGDecodeNV.... what happens when DGDecodeNV runs? Does it blow up? I had thought that most VFR was "identical frames reduced to a single frame" and with timecodes, you expand out with duplicate frames. That was my suspicion. Please tell me what happens.

I know that VLC player plays them all with no problem. I figured that whatever VLC is doing was something you could do in DGDecodeNV.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

I do have reason to suspect that these FLV files are VFR "in name only" and that it's likely they are all really one framerate throughout.
admin

Post by admin »

If I knew anything useful about VFR, I would have helped you. :(

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that the frames are displayed for the correct duration by players using container metadata. You can extract the video ES from the container and process it without issues in DGDecNV, but you may lose the VFR information depending on how you extract it. I believe there are ways to extract the video together with the VFR metadata in a separate file, and then you can remux using those two to make a new VFR file. But I don't have any details or expertise. It's also not appropriate for this forum.

If they are not truly VFR then you can demux the video and process it without issues with DGDecNV.

Good luck with your projects.
MeteorRain

Post by MeteorRain »

VFR is no more than some timestamps.
There are many ways to produce VFRs. A common reason is deduplicating, which will remove similar frames to save a bit space. Another common situation is when producing the video, multiple sources are involved, such as 24 fps film and 30 fps CG video get concatenated, and thus produces 24+30 VFR videos.
VFR indicates that timestamps of each frame are not within a constant interval, while CFR indicates that they are identical.

So the problem is quite simple. You extract video (*.264) and timestamp (whatever, *.txt for example), process the video through DGNV, AVS, or whatever, and produce the final video. Take the file, and the timestamp, to some timeline editing tools to correct the timeline.

Take MP4 as an example, you finish your work and get a final MP4 file. Use L-SMASH tool "timelineeditor", provide the MP4, the timestamp, and an output filename, and the tool will merge these 2 and give you a correct output file.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

MeteorRain wrote: So the problem is quite simple. You extract video (*.264) and timestamp (whatever, *.txt for example), process the video through DGNV, AVS, or whatever, and produce the final video. Take the file, and the timestamp, to some timeline editing tools to correct the timeline.

Take MP4 as an example, you finish your work and get a final MP4 file. Use L-SMASH tool "timelineeditor", provide the MP4, the timestamp, and an output filename, and the tool will merge these 2 and give you a correct output file.
Though this matter of VFR is off-point, I thank you for these tidbits. Hopefully it's short enough to finish up here... Can you please recommend a link to learn more about this? I've searched but found nothing clear about "timeline editor" though I WAS using Lsmash for reading Divx MP4s and .FLVs that did not have H264. Is your reference to "timestamp" exactly what the FLVExtract tool optionally puts out?
MeteorRain

Post by MeteorRain »

TCmullet wrote:
MeteorRain wrote: So the problem is quite simple. You extract video (*.264) and timestamp (whatever, *.txt for example), process the video through DGNV, AVS, or whatever, and produce the final video. Take the file, and the timestamp, to some timeline editing tools to correct the timeline.

Though this matter of VFR is off-point, I thank you for these tidbits. Hopefully it's short enough to finish up here... Can you please recommend a link to learn more about this? I've searched but found nothing clear about "timeline editor" though I WAS using Lsmash for reading Divx MP4s and .FLVs that did not have H264. Is your reference to "timestamp" exactly what the FLVExtract tool optionally puts out?
I'm not familiar with flvextract stuff, but if it says "timecode" or "timestamp", then it probably is.

Regarding to L-SMASH thing, if you were using something to read from video files, then you were using "L-SMASH Works", not "L-SMASH". I don't have a tutorial for you, but those tools should be quite straightforward. You may find compiled binaries on my site.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

MeteorRain wrote: Regarding to L-SMASH thing, if you were using something to read from video files, then you were using "L-SMASH Works", not "L-SMASH". I don't have a tutorial for you, but those tools should be quite straightforward. You may find compiled binaries on my site.
Well, I did say I was using LSmash. But I wasn't being more specific. I actually use the function LWLibavVideoSource(). (And the audio equivalent with the same multiplexed video file as the argument.) I don't remember why I was told to use that part of the LSMASH package instead "Lsmash" or "Lsmash works". (I"ve not heard of the latter til now.)
MeteorRain

Post by MeteorRain »

TCmullet wrote:Well, I did say I was using LSmash. But I wasn't being more specific. I actually use the function LWLibavVideoSource(). (And the audio equivalent with the same multiplexed video file as the argument.) I don't remember why I was told to use that part of the LSMASH package instead "Lsmash" or "Lsmash works". (I"ve not heard of the latter til now.)
Yea I fully understood as this can be confusing. If interested you can take a look at this post, #1 and #2, which tells you what that is.

Feel free to let me know if you have trouble working with L-SMASH / VFR.
admin

Post by admin »

Feel free to continue the discussion about VFR here. I'll learn some great stuff. 8-)
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

Hello, is there any news on the VFR->CFR front and DG tools ? I gather DG tools don't handle VFR.

I recently bought a Samsung S8+ mobile phone. ALL videos recorded by the S8/S8+ cameras seem to be h.264 8-bit progressive VFR .mp4 in various resolutions and colour spaces and profile levels as outlined in the linked pdf https://drive.google.com/open?id=1x1Y0N ... vxQJ-4zrN8

The home video editing software I use (VideoReDo) and apparently most if not all others only handle CFR, hence the query.

I wonder if VFR is becoming a common theme into the future ...

Any chance of a CUDA plugin ? :scratch:
I really do like it here.
admin

Post by admin »

I'm unfamiliar with VFR in general. If you would like me to address this please provide a sample file and tell me what you think correct handling would entail.