[RESOLVED] DGIndexNV failing to close file

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
TCmullet

[RESOLVED] DGIndexNV failing to close file

Post by TCmullet »

I've used DGIndexNV mostly to process transport streams. But lately I'm using MP4 files with H.264 video streams inside. I notice that as an MP4 is not a transport stream, the dgi creation will not automatically demux the audio. But I can and still must demux the audio by hand, within the program. However, the AC3 file extraction never seems to finish. Perhaps you meant us to always press the "Done" button. I would have thought that would be only for ending the demux early. The dots fill up the bar and it just sits waiting for me to press "Done".

The real bug is that when I do press "Done", it does not close the file. The output file (with extension .ac3) has ZERO bytes. The only way to get the file completed is to terminate DGIndexNV. We shouldn't have to do this. Also it MAY be that the last 2 seconds of audio are lost from the AC3 file.
admin

Re: DGIndexNV failing to close file

Post by admin »

DGIndexNV changes "Working..." to "Done!" under the timeline and then you may hit the Done button when you want to exit the dialog. If there are multiple audio streams you may want to stay in the dialog to demux the other streams.

I cannot reproduce your issue. Please post a link to a stream which does this so I can reproduce your issue. Also, please post a screenshot of the audio demux dialog.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

In this case, it does not change from "Working..." but stays there forever. Also, Mediainfo shows the resultant AC3 file as 1-2 seconds shorter that it is inside the .MP4.

Here's a temporary upload link (1+ GB):
http://www.tomsgoodfiles.com/2016-08-27 ... aw.pac.mp4

In addition, when you close the project, it still has the handle open for the AC3 file. The proof is that when I try to delete the AC3 file in Windows, it tells me that DGIndexNV still has it open. I have to exit DGIndexNV to delete it.
admin

Post by admin »

Thank you. I have duplicated your issue. Investigating...
admin

Post by admin »

OK, I know what's wrong. My code assumes all audio samples have the same duration, but your stream has some with 0x599, some with 0x600, and some with 0x601.

I have to rewrite the MP4 audio demuxing. Gonna wait for a burst of energy. :P

Meanwhile demux it with MP4 box or something else. If you can capture to TS instead of MP4 that's a good idea.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

admin wrote:OK, I know what's wrong. My code assumes all audio samples have the same duration, but your stream has some with 0x599, some with 0x600, and some with 0x601.

I have to completely rewrite the MP4 audio demuxing. Gonna wait for a burst of energy. :P

Meanwhile demux it with MP4 box or something else. If you can capture to TS instead of MP4 that's a good idea.
Oh. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Uh, too late to "capture to TS" as these files exist already. But I have successfully processed the .ac3 (and video) I sent you already. I don't know what those codes (599, etc.) are all about, but that okay as I'm not the programmer. There often is enough trailing footage that can be trimmed off that the last few moments are unneeded.

Hey, I noticed something else. I had a transport stream (M2TS) with (as usual) my .aac stream in it. When saving the project, it did NOT show the audio stream in the audio window while generating the .dgi. But (I believe) the audio file DID get created. A fluke? Shall I try to get a small file sample to you that acts up that way?

On the side, you may be wondering why I want ac3 for some things and aac for others. I actually would prefer ac3 always. But those dang networks who broadcast ac3 generally do NOT enforce what kind of audio format the *commercials* have to have. They simple shove out the door whatever comes in. As I think we may have discussed, there's no way DGSource can stay synced with timecoded audio as the timecoding is lost. The solution *in my capturing set up* is to force it to convert to .aac so that I won't have any back and forth format changes. It's ALL aac. For most of what I'm doing, that's okay. If a show comes around that I REALLY want the original ac3, I'll cut out the non-program content. With most of my stuff, I edit out the commercials via Avisynth, hence the need to keep both content and commercials all the same format. The MP4s are coming from sources other than TV capture, so for them I try to get it into ac3 so that I don't have to convert to wav due to lack of an aac import tool.
admin

Post by admin »

TCmullet wrote: Hey, I noticed something else. I had a transport stream (M2TS) with (as usual) my .aac stream in it. When saving the project, it did NOT show the audio stream in the audio window while generating the .dgi. But (I believe) the audio file DID get created. A fluke? Shall I try to get a small file sample to you that acts up that way?
That certainly sounds strange, so sure, if you can provide a sample that does that I'll be happy to look into it.

That's a creative way to solve the audio format dilemma!
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

admin wrote:
TCmullet wrote: That's a creative way to solve the audio format dilemma!
If you're referring to my use of Hauppauge's "disable AC3 support" that forces it's aac converter to kick in, it's THEIR creativity not mine. I avoided it for the longest time, but when I got burned with Avisynth processing, THAT's when I woke up to the realization that the folks at Hauppauge had good reason to disable ac3. I don't think it's in docs anywhere, but real life taught me that audio format changes in real time. You can even see it in the Showbiz capture window when it switches from ac3 to whatever during SOME commercials IF you're watching. I never was watching until I got burned a few times.
admin

Post by admin »

Still, it was clever of you to notice the feature and realize its significance. ;)
MeteorRain

Post by MeteorRain »

TS should be safer. I'm actively using a tool written by Japanese called ts splitter, which can, magically, cut TS files by audio format. I use that to deal with 2ch-aac <-> 5ch-aac stuff, and it always cut precisely at the gap. Not sure if it helps with your case though.
admin

Post by admin »

"ts splitter"

Sounds very interesting; I'll check it out. Thanks for pointing it out.
admin

Post by admin »

A cosmic energy burst traversed my cross-section this morning, so I was able to recode the MP4 audio demuxing. Please re-download 2052 and update DGIndexNV.exe. It works fine now with the sample you gave me.

Thank you, TCmullet, for bringing this issue to my attention.
MeteorRain

Post by MeteorRain »

admin wrote:"ts splitter"

Sounds very interesting; I'll check it out. Thanks for pointing it out.
Early warning -- It's fully in Japanese and was not written in Unicode, which means it's gonna be huge pain trying to use it even if you understand Japanese.
admin

Re: [RESOLVED] DGIndexNV failing to close file

Post by admin »

It's not this one: http://www.videohelp.com/software/TSSplitter?

Looks like English to me.
MeteorRain

Post by MeteorRain »

Nope. Check this: http://www3.wazoku.net/2sen/dtvup/ up0797.zip TsSplitter Ver1.26

Yea they share the same name, and I do use both in different situations.
admin

Post by admin »

You're right, it is unusable for me due to my language limitations. :( Smart people speak 5 or 6 languages, but I speak only English and C++. :facepalm: