[RESOLVED] fps?

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
Sharc

Re: [RESOLVED] fps?

Post by Sharc »

Ok, I replaced the graphics card. Now the framerate for this clip is reported correctly by DGIndexNV as 18.000 fps (rather than 15.000 fps as before).
Problem definitely solved.
admin

Post by admin »

Good move and good news, Sharc.

What card did you install? PCI 1.1 is a definite limiting factor. Maybe the later cards can fall back to 1.1, I'm not sure.

Do you think you should, maybe, if possible, one day, not meaning to be pushy, think about upgrading your system? Or do your finances totally rule it out? If so, we could take up a collection here. For a fine chap like you? Absolutely.

Also, what about your backup plan for that ancient hard disk?

EDIT: Apparently they can fall back to PCI 1.1, so it's all good as long as they can fit the slot.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

I got a GT 730. Really not a parade horse, but it serves my purpose. And it operates fan-less, means noise-free which I like. On the downside the heatsink occupies the width of 2 slots, so I had to remove my video capture card which I used for capturing my old VHS tapes. Well, actually I don't capture much anymore. Almost all done.

And yes, I am vaguely thinking about upgrading of my system - occasionally. But no urgency as it still serves my purpose. So no rush with initiating a collection, but principally I find your idea really brilliant and definitely worth some more thoughts ;-)

Backup strategy for my 8 years old HD: Despite no bad sectors or other alerting signs, I started to take measures about a year ago, which are:-
a. Synchronizing the current work to an external NAS with 2 HD (RAID)
b. Daily automatic backup of selected user folders to the NAS, with file versioning (3 versions)
c. About monthly manual backup of the User data to an exteran USB drive
d. Full HD image to a external HD, say every 6 ....8 months
e. Backup of pictures to a cloud, for internet access or sharing

So there is a reasonable chance that I will survive a HD crash. Risk is more that a. to d. are in my home (fire, theft ...). So I may adopt your strategy of storing d. in my car, as bank safes are just too costly (compared to the value of my data, I mean).
admin

Post by admin »

That's all good and proper. GT 730 is a fine card and fanless is sweet. All the high-end cards are two-slot beasts anyway, so no worries about that. You want the airflow around the heatsink so it would be problematic to make it a one-slot card with another installed right next door. I saw one of those on Amazon for $57.00, close to my estimate. You have my blessing. :D

Good luck with your projects, thanks for your contributions, and kick some ass in 2017.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

I would kick in a few dollars to help Sharc