[RESOLVED] ERROR: JIT compilation failed.

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
Uxorious

[RESOLVED] ERROR: JIT compilation failed.

Post by Uxorious »

I just upgraded to release 2053 (via MeGui), but it seems it's broken.
When I run it, I get a dialog saying "ERROR: JIT compilation failed."

As a sanity-test, I downloaded the same version straight from your page.
When I run that, I get a dialog saying "ERROR: could not load kernel."

Any idea what's up?
admin

Re: ERROR: JIT compilation failed.

Post by admin »

MEGUI absorbed the new version before it was fully stable. That's why the JIT failure occurs.

2053 currently does not support compute capability below 2.0. That means cards such as the 8400 GS are not supported. What card do you have?

I will work today on seeing if the new code base can support compute < 2.0 and report by the end of the day.
admin

Post by admin »

I did some research and experimenting and found that supporting these older cards will cost us a 7% performance hit. With the way I do things now, i.e., generate PTX and JIT compile, it is not possible to use the -gencode NVCC option to specify multiple architectures. So I currently generate code for sm_20. If I instead generate code for sm_11, then CUDA loop unrolling is not possible due to expansion limits in CUDA toolkit 6.5 (required for sm_11 support), and I thus incur the 7% hit.

I'm going to have to leave the older cards behind if we want to progress to greater things. nVidia moved on from compute 1.x long ago and formalized it by dropping support in the CUDA toolkits after 6.5. I'll restore build 2052 to the binaries area and add a note to the relase notes about this.

Sorry to these older card owners but you had to know the day was coming. You can get a basic sm_20-capable card for $50 bucks or less.
DAE avatar
Uxorious

Post by Uxorious »

admin wrote:2053 currently does not support compute capability below 2.0. That means cards such as the 8400 GS are not supported. What card do you have?
It's an old GT240.
admin wrote:With the way I do things now, i.e., generate PTX and JIT compile, it is not possible to use the -gencode NVCC option to specify multiple architectures.
Sorry to these older card owners but you had to know the day was coming. You can get a basic sm_20-capable card for $50 bucks or less.
Bummer, but thanks for trying.
I don't use the PC for gaming, so the main thing I'm going for is noise ... can you recommend a fanless card that would work?
DAE avatar
Uxorious

Post by Uxorious »

Also, is there a link I download the last stable version from again?
admin

Post by admin »

Yes, bummer, GT 240 is compute 1.2.

Both 2052 and 2053 are in the normal binaries area available to licensed users. See here for the link (just below the donate button):

http://rationalqm.us/dgdecnv/dgdecnv.html

Fanless: It depends on how much $$$ you want to spend:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... idia+cards

I have a fanless 620 I would be happy to give you if you pay for shipping. If you want it, PM me your shipping address and make another donation to cover my time and costs. Fair?
DAE avatar
Uxorious

Post by Uxorious »

Thanks for the offer, but I found this page:
http://graphicscardhub.com/best-passive ... phics-card

And then went crazy and ordered this: :bow:
http://www.grooves-inc.com/palit-geforc ... 81047.html
admin

Post by admin »

Geez, I can't even give away my 620. :D

Seriously though, that's a great choice.
DAE avatar
RedDwarf

Re: [RESOLVED] ERROR: JIT compilation failed.

Post by RedDwarf »

I have been getting the same problem with 2053 with the same Gfx card, GT 240. I did try using the dgdecnv contained in MeGUI and that produced the JIT error. I then downloaded 2053 from your binaries site and that showed the Kernel error.

I did not realise that it was only a compute 1.2 card because the last time I used it with dgindexnv it worked fine. I did misinterpret what GPU-z showed but have now found out that hovering the mouse cursor over the Computing: CUDA tick does show the compute capabilities as being 1.2.

Unfortunately I do not have the earlier dgdecnv after recent PC hardware disasters.

I have tried to download 2052 from the binary download site but it keeps rejecting the login which is shown for access. Is there a problem or has the login been changed?

It did work last night when I downloaded 2053. I did not think to download 2502 because I did not realise that I would need it for use on a GT 240.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

The login appears to be the same today, as it has been for a while.
Login is working fine
DAE avatar
RedDwarf

Post by RedDwarf »

It is working now but was not earlier. I did try two different browsers with the same result. It worked fine last night too but I did not get the required version that I could use. I am certain that I did it the same last night as I just used. A number of failed attempts, maybe 4 or 5.
admin

Post by admin »

Time to upgrade that old card!