[RESOLVED] DGDecNV under VMWare v6 VM, is it possible?

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
AJR

[RESOLVED] DGDecNV under VMWare v6 VM, is it possible?

Post by AJR »

Hello,

is it possible to use DGDecNV under VMWare v6 VM? I mean if DGDecNV is able access the gpu hardware directly to work. I dont want to use DgDecIM instead.
Yes of course you can say "just try it" but the server is far from me and also I cant have bigger downtime, so it would help me with decision to know it before shutdown the machine.
admin

Re: DGDecNV under VMWare v6 VM, is it possible?

Post by admin »

There are two considerations: 1) Is the normal GPU functionality accessible? To my knowledge typically it is available. 2) Does the VM support WMI and thereby expose a motherboard ID for use by my licensing? This is more doubtful. I do know of one user who was able to configure his VM to do so through some trickery.

I cannot tell you how your VM behaves and formally I do not support this use case.
DAE avatar
AJR

Post by AJR »

Is that user member of this forum?
admin

Post by admin »

I can't remember the details, sorry. I believe it was an email exchange. I'll try to find it.
admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, I cannot locate the message chain. I think it was a PM chain here but I purge my history periodically and I think it went bye-bye.

One thing that has changed since then is that if WMI fails there is a fallback to the main disk serial number. So things may just work fine if the VM reports a proper disk serial number.

Best bet is to just try it and then we can try to get things going if it fails.
DAE avatar
AJR

Post by AJR »

Ok, can you generate test license for me? I guess DGDecIM use the same licensing like DGDecNV so I will try at first with DGDecIM and if it succeed I will try install cuda hw and use under VM. I dont want to waste next of my license so this is why I ask from you the test licence.
ID from DGDecIM is 9929B10B.
admin

Post by admin »

Don't worry about the number of licenses. I always reset the count to 0 when needed. Please just use the online generator. You getting a valid machine ID on the server is a very good sign.