[RESOLVED] MKV demux support

Support forum for DGDecNV
admin

Re: Feature Requests

Post by admin »

Super, thanks. It's not listed in the MKV codec spec.
admin

Post by admin »

Guessing from some googling that it will be "A_TRUEHD" but I will confirm with your test file.
admin

Post by admin »

Thank you for the test file, gonca. Yup, it's "A_TRUEHD" and I have it added locally. Will slipstream tomorrow. Thanks for pointing it out. :hat:
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Great update.

How are efforts going with chapters and subs?
admin

Post by admin »

Technically it's pretty easy but I'm still thinking over the right GUI interface for it. One consideration is that subtitles are not just in MKV and if I implement it for MKV, I should do it for all the other containers. In that case another top-level menu item "Subtitles" would be appropriate and would lead to a dialog similar to the existing Audio menu. But that would all be a massive job. At the other end of the spectrum I could support only MKV for now and do it by adding a simple checkbox somewhere that says "demux subtitles also". I suppose chapters would raise similar questions but I have been focused on subtitles so far.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Glad you like the update.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Another thing to consider would be to add an option similar to "Output Trimmed TS", an evolution to the MKV/MP4 expanded support
Maybe Output Trimmed MKV (or fill in the extension?) kind of idea
I realize that it is probably an enormous amount of work and might not see the light of day, just throwing out some possibilities
admin

Post by admin »

Sure it would be nice but as you say a major effort. I added the trimmed TS support because I personally needed it for my Colossus captures and it was fairly easy to do, not because anyone asked for it. So until I need it for myself, I won't invest any time in it. (BTW, cutting TS is much easier than cutting MKV/MP4.)

I have two fixes for the new MP4 audio demuxing that I will slipstream with the A_TRUEHD fix later today.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Just brought it up because as you consider how to implement the new options in the GUI, maybe leave the door open so that in future if you do decide to do it, you can expand on the GUI options instead of redesigning it
Any upgrades you do to DGDecodeNV / DGIndexNV are appreciated :bravo:
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:34 am
Glad you like the update.
Technically, aside from DGI generation, everything in a container is a stream and thus a "streams" menu would be a nice replacement for audio one.

You could simply present all the included streams, from video to audio, subs and chapters (and attachments too, if any) and let user select the one to be demuxed, such as we do with audio.

Plain and simple solution, IMHO.

EDIT: get a look at gMKVExtractGUI interface. Simple and very easy to use.
admin

Post by admin »

Great thoughts, thanks.
admin

Post by admin »

@Guest 2

I have things going based on your idea. So far I am supporting only SRT subtitles (S_TEXT/UTF8). What other subtitle formats would you expect to be supported and do you have sample files for them? Thanks.
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

I think, in this order, the most common used (after SRT) are :
SSA/ASS
PGS (also called SUP)
SUB/IDX
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

jpsdr wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:14 am
I think, in this order, the most common used (after SRT) are :
SSA/ASS
PGS (also called SUP)
SUB/IDX
That's it.

Consider that ass format sometimes includes fonts as attachments, such as when superimposing non latin signals with translations.

If needed I can provide you an example.
admin

Post by admin »

Thank you, gents. I'll start with SSA/ASS. I am able to make my own sample files with different subtitle types so there's no need for you to provide samples.
admin

Post by admin »

Alright gents, start your engines. Here is a test version supporting SRT and SSA in MKV.

http://rationalqm.us/misc/Guest 2.zip

The general framework is there now to add new formats and support for TS/PS/MP4 as needed. Note that I decided not to include the video in the newly renamed Demux menu (was the Audio menu), for various reasons. I may revisit that later when my coding batteries recharge.

Your testing will be appreciated. It should be obvious how everything works. I'll revise the manual when the changes stabilize.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:37 am
Thank you, gents. I'll start with SSA/ASS. I am able to make my own sample files with different subtitle types so there's no need for you to provide samples.
With attached fonts too? :bow:
admin

Post by admin »

No. You can feel free to give me any samples you like.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:53 am
Alright gents, start your engines. Here is a test version supporting SRT and SSA in MKV.
  • SRT extraction finishes after Finished! is shown in toolbox.
  • sometimes SRT are not extracted at all, truncated or bit for bit different from MKVTools extracted ones
Please, more than name to the stream and channel number, add language, description and delay if present.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:05 pm
No. You can feel free to give me any samples you like.
Tom I will.
admin

Post by admin »

Who is Tom? :lol:

I'm aware of the "Finished" coming too early and will fix that. The only reason I can think of for missing or truncated SRTs is that you exit DGIndexNV right after seeing "Finished" and before the demuxing thread is complete. Good to see you are on your toes with the testing. ;)
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Just a huge THANK YOU Donald for your ongoing development of DGDecNV and for keeping the forum alive!

Greetings
Sharc
admin

Post by admin »

My pleasure Sharc. Encouragement and support from you guys and gals is the food that nourishes my coding soul.

@Guest 2

I have the "Finished" issue fixed locally. For now please just don't exit DGIndexNV until all the SRTs are done. If doing that you still see some issues please report. One case I do know where the output differs from mkvextract is for SSA. mkvextract erroneously sets Mark=0 for all events. I print the correct value from the event blocks. Another case, again for SSA, mkvextract omits a blank line (which is coded in the stream), but it appears to be insignificant. If you see any other unexpected differences please report. I have not seen any differences for the SRTs I have looked at. Thank you.

BTW, the demuxed subtitles honor the project range.

EDIT: Guest 2.zip refreshed with the "Finished" fix.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the continuous improvements and upgrades
Can hardly wait for the PGS subtitle section
admin

Post by admin »

Hmm, PGS. That may be a tough one. We'll see. Do you have a sample for me please? I found one on the web but mkvextract just produces garbage where I was expecting a nice image file or something. Anybody know anything about this? A general google search shows people asking how to demux PGS and I did not see a definitive answer. So help me out!

EDIT: Possible solution here:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=808

The process seems rather unwieldy.
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

I don't know if font can be extracted (don't remember anything in mkvextract)... :scratch:
The only thing i know, is that font can be embended with the ASS/MKV in two ways :
- Either "external", you add the font with mkvtoolnix in the third panel (probably "attachment" in english).
- Or... i've discovered this ultra very recently, the font can be within the ASS. Yes, you can have within the ASS file a [Font] tag/section, with the data in some kind of binary/text format.