[RESOLVED] 4K Blue-Ray Compressing

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
jbrualdi365

[RESOLVED] 4K Blue-Ray Compressing

Post by jbrualdi365 »

Im not sure if this software is what I need, I'm compressing 4K Blue-Rays to burn them on to 25-50GB disks. Im using BD-Rebuilder to compress the 4K media and it has an option to use the DGDecNV Frame Server. I have a 2011 CPU so the program take 48 hours for a typical movie. I wod like to try adding a Quadro P400 GPU before looking to upgrade my CPU. What I would like to know is if I got this software and a Quadro P400 card would that improove my compression times?
admin

Re: 4K Blue-Ray Compressing

Post by admin »

There are three aspects to consider: decoding, filtering, and compression. DGDecNV is a fast GPU decoder. It also has some CUDA filters that can be useful if that is part of your process. For example, DGDenoise will give you a very fast NLM-based denoising. DGDecNV also can do fast resizing and cropping on the GPU. But DGDecNV does not do anything directly for your encoding. It may help by off-loading the decoding to your GPU and thereby leaving more CPU for encoding. So I think you can get some speedup from DGDecNV but it may be modest if your bottleneck is CPU encoding, especially with your weak CPU.

However, you have the option of doing your encoding with NVEnc, that is, on the GPU. Together with DGDecNV for the decoding, that would result in a substantial improvement for your transcodes.

I have not investigated the Quadro P400 in detail so I cannot vouch for its suitability. I have more experience with the GeForce devices. On a superficial look, P400 looks very low-end, e.g., it has only 256 CUDA cores and a 64-bit memory interface width. Probably a 1050/1060/1070 Ti would be better. Just make sure that the chosen GPU supports NVEnc.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin

Post by admin »

Marking resolved as OP has not followed up.