[RESOLVED] Log MP4 Timestamps?

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
Sharc

[RESOLVED] Log MP4 Timestamps?

Post by Sharc »

I have enabled "Log Timestamps" in the settings menu, but no timestamp file is produced when saving the project.
Indexing, demuxing and Info Log work though, but no *.timestamps.txt is produced. Am I missing something?
My source is an .mp4 with VFR.
Thanks.

Edit:
Same problem with .mkv. Timestamps creation works however with other containers which I have tested, like .m2ts, .mpg
admin

Re: Log Timestamps?

Post by admin »

"Timestamps" refer only to PTS/DTS timestamps in transport or program streams. Adding a dump for MP4 would be a new feature. I have the code already that I use as a standalone executable to identify "VFR in name only". I'll consider integrating it.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

I see, thanks. By "VFR in name only" you mean that in fact it is CFR? That's exactly what I wanted to check as my mobile produces progressive video in .mp4 container with an framerate of around 30 fps (and sometimes exactly 29.97), but typically with a low minimum framerate of about 15 fps and a maximum framerate of slightly above 30 fps - at least this is what MediaInfo tells me. I assume that MediaInfo calculates these rates based on few values only and is therefore not very reliable? That is what I wanted to check.
It seems I can demux and remux with CFR (assumefps(29.97)) and the (short) clips are still in sync which would mean that the video is in fact CFR .....
admin

Post by admin »

Yes.

My tool dumps the duration of each frame. Sometimes only the first one has an unusual duration and then every following one has the same correct duration. That's what I call VFR in name only.

As I said I will integrate it if possible (there may be licensing issues, I'm checking). If I can't integrate it then I will give you the standalone tool.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Any new thoughts about the integration?
admin

Post by admin »

I haven't forgotten about this but it hasn't risen to the top of the priority list yet. I was about to start and then this forced subs issue came up. :(

Hang in there.
admin

Re: Log MP4 Timestamps?

Post by admin »

OK, here is the tool for MP4. I cannot integrate it due to licensing issues. I don't have any plans to do anything similar for MKV but if you need it desperately, open another thread and convince me. ;)

http://rationalqm.us/misc/VFR_Check.rar

Read the Notes.txt file for usage details.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Re: [RESOLVED] Log MP4 Timestamps?

Post by Sharc »

Thank you very much :salute:
Very useful to analyze "VFR" mobile phone clips. And no, I don't need the same for .mkv
Thanks again.
admin

Re: [RESOLVED] Log MP4 Timestamps?

Post by admin »

You're welcome. Let me know if I can do anything to make it more useful to you.