Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
Zathor

[RESOLVED] Wrong FPS information

Post by Zathor »

Hello Don,

While testing I came accross this sample file here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/tiql79cv ... 0.mkv/file

It should be 23.976fps but DGIndexNV detects it as 90,000fps.
I am using the current version + the CLI ;)

Kind regards,
Zathor
admin

Re: Wrong FPS information

Post by admin »

Ha ha, that's a good one. Investigating...
admin

Post by admin »

The video ES specified frame rate, if present, overrides the container specified frame rate. Here, the video ES is specifying a frame rate of 90000 fps, strangely enough. Is it worth doing anything about this? I prefer not to have a bunch of code that makes things contingent on the container, but it is a possibility. Perhaps the container frame rate should override the video ES frame rate.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

admin wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:00 pm
The video ES specified frame rate, if present, overrides the container specified frame rate. Here, the video ES is specifying a frame rate of 90000 fps, strangely enough. Is it worth doing anything about this? I prefer not to have a bunch of code that makes things contingent on the container, but it is a possibility. Perhaps the container frame rate should override the video ES frame rate.
In case you integrate the tool which dumps the frame duration: Could this be used a cross-check and perhaps issue a warning? Or would in this case the tool report a frame duration of 1/90?
I am not sure that the container value is more trustful than the ES unless one is obviously off the kilter. (Similar conflicts between ES and container exist with aspect ratios).
admin

Post by admin »

Yes, it could be used as a cross-check. This file is MKV, however, and I don't have any code to dump the timestamps for MKV.

I'm considering letting the container value dominate, if it exists. But I may do nothing as I have seen only one file like this and it is obviously pathological.
DAE avatar
Zathor

Post by Zathor »

That file has been provided to me by a user. Likely he did create it in a wrong way.
As this seems not to be a general issue and the reason is clear the case here can be closed.
Only slight issue is that it seems that MediaInfo is not able to detect this properly (I do get 23.976 for container + video) so I cannot point the user to these issues.
admin

Post by admin »

I have modified things so that the MKV/MP4 container frame rate is preferred over the ES VUI frame rate. So now the correct rate will be found for this stream. It will be in the next slipstream, so I mark this resolved. Thank you for pointing out this issue, Zathor.