[RESOLVED] Interlaced or not?

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
Guest 2

[RESOLVED] Interlaced or not?

Post by Guest 2 »

I have just sent you a small fragment from The pillars of the Earth.

Sometimes it happens to me that a file is recognized as 25 fps from MediaInfo and DGIndexNV (which gives me a TFF warning in info side bar) and as 50i from eac3to.

Which is which? Are those the two faces of the same medal? IMHO if really interlaced, it should be 50fps in info panel.

Or not?

What is the real format of the chunk I sent you?
DAE avatar

Re: Interlaced or not?

Post by Guest »

DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

gonca wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:01 am
Try this
Yup, I know. As we are talking in different threads about same aspect, i.e. parsing, I am just throwing some more meat on fire. ;)
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

gonca wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:01 am
Try this
I have applied the

AssumeTFF()
SeparateFields()

trick and despite the frame are half the size, the progression is aabbccdd but from a to the second a there is a vertical shift of 1 pixel.

So is it progressive? :mrgreen:
admin

Post by admin »

It's progressive content. The shift with separatefields() is normal. Think about it and you'll understand why the bottom field appears shifted. If you don't like that effect then step through bobbed fields this way:

DGSource()
DGBob()
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:01 pm
It's progressive content. The shift with separatefields() is normal. Think about it and you'll understand why the bottom field appears shifted. If you don't like that effect then step through bobbed fields this way:
Thanks I will do ;)

My question was about the parsing and TTF showed in the info lateral bar even for progressive material.

It simply reports what the stream tells. True?

P.S: Just picture that eac3to reports it as 50i :shock:
admin

Re: [RESOLVED] Interlaced or not?

Post by admin »

It's progressive content encoded as interlaced. What is the big deal? That's very common.

Yes, the stream parameters are reported; there is no attempt to determine if the content is actually progressive/interlaced.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Re: [RESOLVED] Interlaced or not?

Post by Sharc »

25 fps (frames per second) footage must be encoded (or at least flagged as) interlaced for Blu-ray or DVD standards compliance, even when the original content is progressive. DGDecNV reports these streams always as interlaced.
Unfortunately some tools report 25 interlaced frames per second as "25i" while other tools report it as "50i" according to the 50 fields per seconds. This ambiguity is omnipresent, unfortunately.