[RESOLVED] 4K HDR: failed to create video decoder on 43x.xx

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar

Re: Red sparrow 4K HDR: failed to create video decoder

Post by Guest »

Yes, that is one of the links, but sometimes the normal control panel doesn't get installed after a DCH uninstall and standard install.
Or at least that is what I gathered from reading some of posts on the issue. I might have misread though
admin

Post by admin »

Guest 2 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:10 am
LAV filter shows which decoder it uses and it tells cuvid.
What version of LAV and what player are you using? I aim to duplicate your case.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:45 am
What version of LAV and what player are you using? I aim to duplicate your case.
MPC-BE (x64 flavor, just remember to disable internal filters) and LAV Filters latest nightly but I think stable ones should work too.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/ ... 0trunk%29/

https://files.1f0.de/lavf/nightly/

admin

Re: Red sparrow 4K HDR: failed to create video decoder (PRERELEASE driver)

Post by admin »

Thank you.

How do I disable internal filters and why?
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

View >> Options >> Internal Filters
The why?
If they are not disabled, MPC will use the internal filters and not the external LAVF
admin

Post by admin »

Ta.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Some builds of 435.27 were broken
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... 9/#6098609
Also note that these prerelease drivers were released 2 months ago
Official drivers are still on 431.xx
admin

Post by admin »

That's ancient history. 435.80 is broken.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Seems that all the 435.xx pre release drivers are broken
DAE avatar
Guest 2

4K HDR: failed to create video decoder on 43x.xx

Post by Guest 2 »

436.02 officially out.

Huge amount of news: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ne ... dy-driver/

4k decoding still broken on DGIndexNV. Working with Lav Filters on cuvid.
admin

Re: 4K HDR: failed to create video decoder on 43x.xx

Post by admin »

Bummer. First I'll try to run nVidia decode samples under the new driver.
admin

Post by admin »

It's all clear now. When 10-bit came along and before nVidia officially supported it, some people discovered that with a little hack you could decode the 10-bit and the driver would downsample it to 8-bit (NV12). The decoder was set up with an NV12 surface and everything worked fine. For DGIndexNV there is a CUDA kernel to convert that NV12 to RGB24 for display.

Now, the 436.02 driver does not support this hack anymore, and the decode surface must be P016 for 10-bit decoding. That is what DGDecodeNV currently does for 10-bit sources with fulldepth=true. To test this, I hacked DGIndexNV to not decode but still allow the stream to be indexed (using one of Guest 2's streams). Then I made a script with DGSource() delivering fulldepth=true. Everything worked fine with 436.02. But of course, fulldepth=false is broken as it still tries to decode with an NV12 surface.

So, I have to redesign things to always decode 10-bit to a P016 surface. There are a couple ways to go and I need to think about it thoroughly. It could take weeks once you add regression testing and documentation.

The good news is that things are understood and it definitely can be fixed. The bad news is that it will take a while.
admin

Post by admin »

We need a P016->RGB24 kernel for DGIndexNV. DGSource() can always automatically deliver YV12 or P016 depending on the input stream bit depth (no more fulldepth option).
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Would it be possible to deliver P016 all the time and the user could then use ConvertBits(8) if 8 bit output was desired?
admin

Post by admin »

Yes, and there are much better dithering options available when converting with Avsynth+/Vapoursynth.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

gonca wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:29 pm
Would it be possible to deliver P016 all the time and the user could then use ConvertBits(8) if 8 bit output was desired?
It would be interesting to see if any existing end-user scripts need changing to suit.
From the way you are talking, I suspect not.
Great ! :D
I really do like it here.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:52 pm
Yes, and there are much better dithering options available when converting with Avsynth+/Vapoursynth.
I am thinking about older system that rely mostly on graphic cards to decode/encode media.

Why not to expand functionalities of HDR to SDR CUDA to apply transformation with dithering?
admin

Post by admin »

hydra3333 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:06 pm
It would be interesting to see if any existing end-user scripts need changing to suit.
Any script that has DGSource() opening a 10-bit stream with explicit or implicit fulldepth=false will need to be changed.

I don't think it is a source filter's job to be doing bit-depth conversions.
admin

Post by admin »

Guest 2 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:38 am
Why not to expand functionalities of HDR to SDR CUDA to apply transformation with dithering?
Yes, everything is on the table.
admin

Post by admin »

Good news guys! I have it coded and working fine under 436.xx. I did it just as earlier described. As expected, the hardest part was getting the P016->RGB24 CUDA kernel working. Debugging is difficult for kernel development; even doing a printf from kernel code is a nightmare. But I got lucky after 6 hours of poking and prodding. ;) I just convert to 8-bit for display by truncating; there's no need for anything fancier for DGIndexNV.

Now I need to regression test and update the documentation. Maybe I can make a slipstream tomorrow.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

That was quick :hat:
admin

Post by admin »

My subconscious mind was throwing up a coder's block and I couldn't figure out why. So I doubled up on the lactobacillus reuteri and the fish oil and a divine spark of creative energy blazed within me. :wow:

Thank you bacteria. Thank you fish. You have not lived in vain.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:37 pm
I just convert to 8-bit for display by truncating; there's no need for anything fancier for DGIndexNV.
Humble hint for future release: provide path to DGHDRtoSDR in DGIndexNV.ini and use it to display preview when HDR is found using SDR display (vast majority of us, I think). On a second pass, ability to tweak parameters from DGIndexNV interface. And so for all the great CUDA filters you wrote. It would be less consuming than edit a script and preview in VirtualDub or so.
admin wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:37 pm
Now I need to regression test and update the documentation. Maybe I can make a slipstream tomorrow.
:bravo:
admin wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:17 pm
Thank you bacteria. Thank you fish. You have not lived in vain.
:D LOL
admin

Post by admin »

Guest 2 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:17 am
Humble hint for future release: provide path to DGHDRtoSDR in DGIndexNV.ini and use it to display preview when HDR is found using SDR display (vast majority of us, I think). On a second pass, ability to tweak parameters from DGIndexNV interface. And so for all the great CUDA filters you wrote. It would be less consuming than edit a script and preview in VirtualDub or so.
Sure it would be great to make DGIndexNV more capable. Similar to your idea, I have in the past thought of making DGIndexNV capable of frame accuracy when the index file is available. Then why not go all the way and allow it to invoke Avisynth/Vapoursynth filters, etc.? Wouldn't want to re-invent avspmod though, or would we?

OK, off to make the slipstream...
admin

Post by admin »

Slipstream 183 is released. Thank you again, Guest 2, for notifying us about this matter.

Marking resolved.