[RESOLVED] Stream init failed with MKV 5.5.0

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
Guest 2

[RESOLVED] Stream init failed with MKV 5.5.0

Post by Guest 2 »

I have found a little bug when trying to demux tracks with video created with old MKVToolnix, i.e. 5.5.0. Not tried with older or bit newer ones.

You can find it at https://mkvtoolnix.download/windows/releases/5.5.0/

If you try to demux using DGIndexNV, it throws up a Stream init failed error, it creates AVS correctly and no demuxing but, sometimes, a 0 size audio track.

The same mkv, correctly demuxes with gMKVExtractGUI.

DGIndexNV contains latest mkvextract.exe available.

I uploaded a small chunk of file, so you can test.
Rocky

Re: Stream init failed with MKV 5.5.0

Post by Rocky »

That file uses an obsolete no-longer-supported compression method, COMP_PREPEND, otherwise known as the infamous "header removal". MKVTOOLNIX 6.6.0 removed this capability completely. You can remux the file to fix it for applications that don't support this obsolete feature.

I will improve DGIndexNV's error handling for this, as the message is not informative and DGIndexNV crashes when you dismiss the error popup. That will be in the next slipstream.

Marking resolved.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Re: Stream init failed with MKV 5.5.0

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:08 am
That file uses an obsolete no-longer-supported compression method, COMP_PREPEND, otherwise known as the infamous "header removal".
Yep, true. :bravo:

I tried to recreate the same file with same version of MKV Toolnix but with the "--compression" "0:none" to all the track numbers and it demuxes correctly.

If you have time, can you explain me why gMKVExtractGUI implementation don't care about COMP_PREPEND and works while DGIndexNV can't? Perhaps, more than giving a error, you could apply same method of demuxing to be more resilient.
Rocky

Re: [RESOLVED] Stream init failed with MKV 5.5.0

Post by Rocky »

gMKVExtractGUI does care about COMP_PREPEND. It has implemented support for it (good!). The MKV parsing code that the MKV guys kindly provided to DG tools (thank you Mike!) did not support header removal, which is is just fine for me. Adding support for it would need (up to) weeks of effort for very little return, especially given that such streams are now rare and that it was totally removed from MKVTOOLNIX a long time ago. There are more exciting things to work on, and the progress bar of life inexorably blazes on.