[CLOSED] Failure to run

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
TCmullet

[CLOSED] Failure to run

Post by TCmullet »

I have been happily using a couple licenses for several years on two machines frequently. The last DGIndexNV.exe file I obtained is dated 10/2016. I am not wanting or intending to upgrade to any newer version that might exist.

All of a sudden, I am getting 3 error messages when I try to open a .dgi in Avisynth and VirtualDub.

1. cuCtxCreate() failed.
2. Failed to create video decoder (201).
These both have an "okay" button, but the window disappears after a few seconds. (Had to do it several times to transcribe it all down.)
3. Vdub does open up, but the screen is green and has "CUDA error!" at the top.

Nothing has changed in my system for ages. Is this a reflection that something might have gone bad in my graphics card? How do I determine the problem, esp. without a whole lot of tech knowledge?

Again, I don't prefer to upgrade anything just now, as DGIndexNV is working fine on my more powerful machine.
Rocky

Re: Failure to run

Post by Rocky »

Please give your OS and OS build details, your nVidia card details, your nVidia driver version, and DGDecNV version.

It is nonsensical that you refuse to upgrade. Be aware that I am not going to support an almost 4-year-old version of DGDec, so if general considerations do not suffice, you will be stuck. It would take only a few minutes to test the latest version.

I assume you tried a full power cycle of your machine.

Are you saying that the video shows fine in DGIndexNV but then fails when serving through DGDecode() in your script?
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

Windows 10, kept current. (Now to hunt around for the hardest part...) Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, OS Build 18362.418. (I'm a bit skeptical that these details are relevant, but I guess it's better you know for sure than gamble on assumptions.)

(I really thought you were going to say something simple like "your CUDA cores have gone bad, even though the rest of the card is still working".)

I remind you I've not changed anything on either system, except Win 10 doing it's forced patches at times. The fact that DGSource is still running fine on my better machine speaks to the idea that the systems are fine, but there is a partial hardware failure. But I will proceed with info digging.

I found the Nvidia control panel. If I fail to give a needed factoid, please just let me know.

OS = Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit.
Directx runtime version: 11.0
GeForce 210 (YES, I know it's old! Please don't rub it in.) driver version: 342.01
Direct3D api version: 10.1
Cuda Cores: 16 (Again, please don't rub it in. If you say my card has gone "cuda bad", I do have a different card I can install, but it too only has 16.)

Full power off of PC every day for weeks now. But I don't think I've unplugged the power cord since this started. It's also been weeks since I bothered to try DGSource again. But I knew I'd need to do it again right before writing to you all.

Yes, indexing works fine. It's only when DGSource tries to open it all in VDub.

When I went out of my way to log those disappearing messages, I thought the content of those messages would reveal (to you) what is defective. Again, this started happening suddenly, with NO changes to hardware or software, EXCEPT possibly Windows 10's nasty upgrading "service". (My next machine is going to be a Win 7!) But Win10 probably made the same changes on my bigger PC that also runs my current DGSource with no problems.

And "if it ain't broke, don't fix it (or upgrade, esp. as upgrading is often never "quick and easy")."

According to the .exe, it is 0.0.0.2052.

Thanks in advance for your help, Sir.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I asked if the video shows fine in DGIndexNV. Please answer that directly. You only said indexing works.

Also it's not clear from what you say if you a full power cycle after the problem started. Please do so.

I would try the other card before anything else. What is that card?

I also ask you to try the latest version of DGDecNV. You can unzip it to a separate directory and copy your license file there. You do not have to remove or overwrite your 2052 version.

Just so you know, I don't support Win7 systems anymore. You'll be on your own.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

Sorry I wasn't clearer. Video shows fine in indexing. .dgi file gets built fine.

The problem started weeks ago, and before and after then, I power the PC off every day. Every day. (But I don't unplug the power cord.)
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

Is it possible for the cuda cores part of a card to go bad but the normal video function of the card (seeing the desktop on my computer monitor) still works?
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

TCmullet wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:09 am
Is it possible for the cuda cores part of a card to go bad but the normal video function of the card (seeing the desktop on my computer monitor) still works?
No, the same CUVID/CUDA calls are used in both DGIndexNV and DGDecodeNV, and you say it works in DGIndexNV.

Can I see your script? Maybe you are picking up a rogue version of DGDecodeNV.dll from somewhere on your system.

How much memory does your card have? You may be running out of memory on the GPU. DGDecodeNV uses more than DGIndexNV. You can use GPU-Z Sensors tab to check GPU memory usage. It's conceivable that things can succeed with small videos (say 720x480) but fail with larger HD/UHD videos. Try it with an SD video.

It's about 5 minutes to download the latest DGDecNV and copy over your license file.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

The script is a skeleton, is one of many dozens of clones, and has implied usage of some .avsi files, as well as other DLLs in my Avisynth plugins folder. Same on both machines. And the "bad" script works fine when I copy it and the source files (.TS, .wav, .dgi, etc.) over to the other PC. (So I'm doubtful you'd find anything useful to the current situation in my script--it'd be a waste of your time.)

I just ran Agent Ransack and I only have 4 copies of DGDecodeNV.dll on this PC (among 5 drives), and all 4 have same date, BUT one has different size and slightly different time! I'll attach a screen shot. (And I ran Ransack on the other PC and same results.)
TCs-DGDecodeNV.dll.list.jpg
It hurts the scenario to upgrade this PC to any newer DGIndex because then this machine is current and my WORKING DG PC is no longer matching. And besides, you've made NO comment on what the error messages mean that I did provide at the very start.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

If you do not answer my questions I can't help you.

You did not give the script, only an excuse. Look, make a basic script with just DGSource() and try that.

You did not answer me about the memory on your card, nor did you do any of the memory monitoring I suggested.

You did not tell the resolution of the video, and you did not try an SD video.

Your position on trying the latest version is nonsense. As I said it will not affect your existing installation at all if you extract to a different directory and copy over your license file.

The error messages tell me what they tell me, i.e., that cuCtxCreate failed. The message does not print the error return in DGSource() at this time. I'm not going to give a modified 2052 that does that, but I can for the latest version.

I don't know where you got that 496KB DLL. Don't use that one.

Best guess: Insufficient memory on the card for your current use case.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

Attached is script.

More info from "system info" of Nvidia control panel:
Total available graphics ... 4095 MB
Dedicated video memory: 1024 MB DDR3
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 3071 MB

When you say "How much memory does your card have? You may be running out of memory on the GPU. DGDecodeNV uses more than DGIndexNV. You can use GPU-Z Sensors tab to check GPU memory usage. It's conceivable that things can succeed with small videos (say 720x480) but fail with larger HD/UHD videos. Try it with an SD video.", you are barking up the wrong tree. This card, PC and DGIndexNV has worked on HUGE (1920x1080i30 and 60) files for YEARS. I've tried several videos typical of what I do (and lately it's only 720p60).

I don't know how to do what you ask ("use GPU-Z Sensors tab"). I'll give you what you ask IF you tell me how to get it.

I repeat... this arrangement has been working great for several years. IF you say the card has gone bad, then I'll chuck it.
Attachments
2019-10-16.1800.wv.IN-v-MD.720p60.btn.c2-tv.ed-14m.avs
(3.35 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

Resolution of video lately is 720p60, but have successfully (FOR YEARS) done 1080p60 and 1080i30.

Resolution of video MONITOR is 1920 x 1080.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Your experiences of the past are not helpful. We are trying to solve your current situation.

Please try with a basic script loaded into VirtualDub2 and report your result:

LoadPlugin(".../DGDecodeNV.dll")
DGSource("your DGI file")

If you think the card is bad, then try the other one! Another question you failed to answer: What is that card?

GPU-Z is a popular GPU utility. You can find it with google.

Here's another question: What version of Avisynth are you running?
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

Shockingly, this works:

LoadPlugin("C:/Program Files (x86)/AviSynth+/plugins/DGDecodeNV.dll")
DGSource("2019-10-16.1800.wv.IN-v-MD.gl4-2-6.720p60.btn.c2-tv.ed-14m.dgi")

But if I leave off the loadplugin line, it fails as before. Something wrong with my plugins access?
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

TCmullet wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:45 pm
Shockingly, this works:

LoadPlugin("C:/Program Files (x86)/AviSynth+/plugins/DGDecodeNV.dll")

But if I leave off the loadplugin line, it fails as before. Something wrong with my plugins access?
It's not shocking at all!

You are apparently picking up a bad version of DGDecodeNV.dll from one of your Avisynth+ plugins directories, or you have a bad DLL in your DLL search path.. I don't know how you configured the Avisynth+ paths. I always recommend direct loading and getting rid of multiple copies of the DLL laying around.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

Uh, somehow my brief testing failed. (Maybe I didn't close things out enough after the failure.,)

Now when all I have is the DGSource line, it works.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

Here's my current script that fails:

# Test-DGSource.avs

SetMemoryMax(1024)
global svp_scheduler=true
global threads=4
global svp_cache_fwd=threads+10
SetMTMode(3,threads)

#LoadPlugin("C:/Program Files (x86)/AviSynth+/plugins/DGDecodeNV.dll")
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

Those "sets" and "globals" have worked for years, even on this PC. Could it be that a recent Windows Update has messed with the ability to use multiple threads?

A significant difference between this PC (which has the error) and my better one is this: This PC is i5 with 4 cores. The other is Xeon 4-core plus 4 hyperthreads (total 8 threads). And much more system memory and a 192 cuda-core card.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

SetMTMode() is not an Avisynth+ thing, so it looks like some holdover from 2.6MT. Are you sure you are running Avisynth+? Make a script with just Version() and that will tell you.

You cannot multithread DGSource(). That may be why you run out of memory.

Refer to the Avisynth+ documentation for multithreading in Avisynth+.

Add those lines back one-by-one to see which causes failure.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

When the DGSource("....dgi") is the only line (or only line that is not commented out), then it works fine. BUT it dos not work fine IF I reload in Vdub via F2. I learned awhile back that apparently due to small number of cuda-cores, I need to fully close the current file (script) and open it freshly. On this PC I cannot have a script that has DGSource open multiple files. For that I have to use my bigger PC. (More cuda cores, more everything.) Maybe if I get a card that has more cudas, then this PC too will be able to open 4 DGSources at once. (Sometimes I DO need that many.)

Those sets and globals have been necessary for certain functions, and were set up several years ago. I've propagated them harmlessly, and then when they've been needed, they were already in place.

But my Ransack run (which I gave a screen shot of) shows that there are no stray DGDecodeNV.dlls floating around.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Your last post is totally unresponsive to my last post. You still haven't even told me what version of Avisynth you run.

You are all confused about what you call "cudas". We'll get much further if you listen to me and follow my instructions. I'll close the thread if you keep ignoring my questions and suggestions.

"But my Ransack run (which I gave a screen shot of) shows that there are no stray DGDecodeNV.dlls floating around."

What? :o You showed earlier that you had at least 4 copies, one with a bad size. Anything beyond one correct copy is rogue.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

I didn't see your reply until after my reply.

Could you please explain what you mean by DGSource cannot multi-thread. (I know what multi-threading is, and I can guess that DGSource was not designed to operate that way.) But what is happening when I do run DGSource and it seems to run fine on the Xeon? (I want to understand why I've not had a problem on the Xeon PC. It DOES have 24GB of ram vs the problem machine that has only 12GB.)

I will troubleshoot line by line when I have a chance. In the meantime, I'll have to kill those lines so I can get this i5 turning out stuff again.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

Rocky wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:27 pm
You still haven't even told me what version of Avisynth you run.

I'll close the thread if you keep ignoring my questions and suggestions.
I didn't see that you asked that (version of Avisynth). I'll have to figure out how to find that out.

I'm not ignoring things. It was a bad day for me to jump into this; have other fires to fight outside of computers. Thanks for your patience. (But sometimes, I give another response and don't see that you responded already and I don't catch it til later. I do try to refresh the page before I start typing a new comment.)
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Script multi-threading and multi-filter-instance are not the same thing! I regret that I do not have time to educate you on basic stuff.

I told you how to get your Avisynth version.

You want to know why it doesn't fail on the Xeon? I have no idea because I don't know what GPU it has or how much memory the GPU has. You keep giving CPU details when it is the GPUs that matter.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

"Version()" gives me:

AviSynth 2.60, build:Feb 20 2015 [03:16:45]

"Script multi-threading and multi-filter-instance are not the same thing!" I never said they were. I'll hunt for where you said how to find version. But I did remember the basic "version()" script. I do not claim to be an avisynth master.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

I'm sure all multi-threading for DGSource is done down at the cuda level (not processor level), transparent to the calling application (DGSource).