[RESOLVED] Demuxed Dolby True HD has no core AC3 track

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
squallmx

[RESOLVED] Demuxed Dolby True HD has no core AC3 track

Post by squallmx »

I'm trying the demux function, works great for seamless branching titles, but when demuxing Dolby THD tracks, the output file lacks the needed core AC3 track for proper Blu-ray compatibility (the core AC3 track is put on a separate file) so TSMuxerGUI fails to recognise said THD file.
Rocky

Re: Demuxed Dolby True HD has no core AC3 track

Post by Rocky »

Not sure what to tell you if some third-party app can't open a pure THD file. mkvtoolnix has no problem with it. It plays in MPC-HC etc.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

If I may interject,
I may be wrong but THD tracks have no core, an AC3 track is interleaved with it for backward compability, which is why MKVToolNix separates the two.
Also, TSMuxer has not been updated in a very long time.
DTSHD/MA are the ones with a core
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

All correct. Thank you, gonca.
DAE avatar
squallmx

Post by squallmx »

Rocky wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:00 pm
Not sure what to tell you if some third-party app can't open a pure THD file. mkvtoolnix has no problem with it. It plays in MPC-HC etc.
The Blu-ray spec requires for a TrueHD track to have an interleaved AC3 track for backward compatibility (@gonca has a point :agree: , is not a core track, just a compatibility track), so the current THD output file is useless for those wanting to create a BD-25 / BD-50 backups, it would be nice to have an option for a proper THD+AC3 interleaved file, back in the day eac3to was able to create such files, but now it fails on new UHD releases.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Please give the relevant paragraph of the bluray spec. I don't doubt you, I just want to see it. I don't rule out adding an option to keep thd+ac3.
DAE avatar
squallmx

Post by squallmx »

Rocky wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:30 pm
Please give the relevant paragraph of the Blu-ray spec. I don't doubt you, I just want to see it. I don't rule out adding an option to keep thd+ac3.
I too poor to have access to the official spec, but is something referenced constantly at that forum by reputable users, for example this post by madashi (creator of eac3to) showthread.php?p=1415246#post1415246
There are 2 different TrueHD streams:

(1) TrueHD+AC3. This is a mixed format. There are both (alternating) TrueHD and AC3 frames in the stream.

(2) TrueHD. This stream only contains TrueHD frames and no AC3 frames.

All Blu-Ray TrueHD streams are (1). All HD DVD TrueHD streams are (2). eac3to can convert between both stream types. Converting from (1) to (2) is very easy: The AC3 frames are simply removed. Converting from (2) to (1) is more difficult: The TrueHD stream must be decoded and reencoded to AC3 and then the AC3 frames must be injected into the TrueHD stream in a specific way.

When muxing to MKV, the AC3 frames are usually removed, so MKV TrueHD streams are usually type (2).

There's no special metadata which tells anyone how to convert TrueHD to AC3, AFAIK.
Since Dolby TrueHD is an optional codec, a companion Dolby Digital bitstream must accompany the Dolby TrueHD bitstream on Blu-ray discs. Blu-ray Disc players consider this combination of two audio bitstreams as a single logical audio track, and a Blu-ray Disc player will automatically select the Dolby Digital or Dolby TrueHD bitstream depending on its decoding and/or bitstreaming capabilities.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

OK, thank you, I have put it on the to-do list.
Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle »

DGDecNV and DGDemux both now allow you to retain THD+AC3 so let's stomp out this thread. See ya!
DAE avatar
squallmx

Re: [RESOLVED] Demuxed Dolby True HD has no core AC3 track

Post by squallmx »

Hi, tested build 203, THD+AC3 track is not properly created, TSMuxerGUI 2.6.12 can not detect the stream type:

http://imgur.com/a/2RkvVKC

TSMuxerGUI 1.10.6 detects the file, but when muxing gets tons of:
SmartLabs tsMuxeR. Version 1.10.6 http://www.smlabs.net
Decoding AC3 stream (track 1): Bitrate: 448Kbps Sample Rate: 48KHz Channels: 6
AC3 stream (track 1): bad frame detected at position00:00:00,032. Resync stream.
AC3 stream (track 1): bad frame detected at position00:00:00,064. Resync stream.
AC3 stream (track 1): bad frame detected at position00:00:00,096. Resync stream.
Decoding AC3 stream (track 1): Bitrate: 448Kbps Sample Rate: 48KHz Channels: 6...
The output .m2ts file only contains the AC3 portion of the original THD+AC3 track.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

TSMuxerGUI 1.10.6
What happens when you use the latest nightly version of TsMuxerGUI
1.10.6 is rather old
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Duplicated. Definitely a DGIndexNV problem. Investigating...
DAE avatar
squallmx

Post by squallmx »

gonca wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:14 pm
TSMuxerGUI 1.10.6
What happens when you use the latest nightly version of TsMuxerGUI
1.10.6 is rather old
http://imgur.com/a/2RkvVKC
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Oh, this is going to be involved. The design assumes that a THD frame comes first and then the first embedded AC3 frame. But the stream has an embedded AC3 frame first. So I lose the first packet's worth of that and TSMuxerGUI gets upset.

Unfortunately tile work must be completed as it is not something to arbitrarily delay. Hopefully next week we get onto this with the HEVC random access issue. And JoyBell's HDR stuff. Big tile push (grouting) on Sunday. Messy and fussy. :cry:
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Ah, the tile work took longer than expected but it's looking good. Here is what Bullwinkle and I managed to do:

Note the awesome job we did on the oblique corner. We call that a "folded corner". Figured that out on our own! Now we only have to re-grout a few washouts and then grout seal just the line between the countertop and the first tile row (may caulk it with a matching color instead). Laticrete PermaColor Select grout technically does not require sealing but we think it's a good idea to further protect that first grout line. The cabinets and grout are both Twilight Blue. And no, it's not a coincidence that the color matches my flying cap! Bullwinkle wanted brown but I thought that would not be good for a kitchen. And of course Natasha wanted red. :roll:

Some advice to others: think twice before deciding to do something like this on your own. You can save thousands of $$$ but it's very intense and requires sustained attention to detail and fast action as the grout wants to fire off on you before you can use up the batch. We did it in small batches to avoid wasting grout. That's what made this take longer than expected. Color consistency between batches with Laticrete is excellent.

So, hoping to get back to DG tools work in the next few days. Thank you for your patience to those awaiting fixes for their issues.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

A very nice job, congratulations.
The power point looks a little funny though ;)
I really do like it here.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

hydra3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:05 am
Thanks. The outlet looks fine to me. You mean the location? That's pretty standard for a USA over-the-counter outlet within reach of a sink. The switch is for the garbage disposal and the little buttons control the GFCI functionality (test and reset). What is funny for you?
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Maybe he means the fact that it is installed sideways.
This is done for the aesthetics, matching the tile lines and orientation
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Yup, with few exceptions outlets are horizontal here in good old Ill-annoy. Maybe Aussies just aren't familiar with our plug type.

BTW, all our coaching just got canceled for the next two weeks due to SARS-2. So I'll have even more time for DG tools work. ;)

Stay safe y'all!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Whoa. It took six difficult hours to get the output matching EAC3TO for {thd+ac3} for streams with embedded AC3 frame(s) coming before the first THD frame. But I had to temporarily patch out demuxing the embedded AC3 to a separate file as that needs the same fix too. Will work on that later today.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

Rocky wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:06 am
hydra3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:05 am
Thanks. The outlet looks fine to me. You mean the location? That's pretty standard for a USA over-the-counter outlet within reach of a sink. The switch is for the garbage disposal and the little buttons control the GFCI functionality (test and reset). What is funny for you?
he he, it's fine on some part of the planet, although one could suggest it should look a bit more normal, like this:
I really do like it here.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Haha, that's the funny one!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Oy, after all that difficult 6 hours of labor Sherman came along and told me he had a dream last night in which an easier way came to him. Bless his heart. Let me explain. The basic dilemma was that the file name for the demuxed audio cannot be created with the metadata until we actually receive a THD frame carrying the metadata (PID, rate, channels, delay and all that nonsense). But we were getting an embedded AC3 frame first, so we had nowhere to write it because the output file was not yet created (waiting for the first THD frame to have the metadata). My stupid fix was to save off the embedded AC3 frame(s) and then write them out first when the first THD frame is received and the file gets opened. It works but requires lots of icky memory management for the save buffer(s). Sherman said why not just go ahead and open the output file when the embedded AC3 frame arrives but with a generic name containing only the PID. Then when the file is closed rename it as needed (with metadata). I implemented that and it works just fine. Children these days! :wow:
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

Rocky wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:54 am
Bless his heart.
Come to me, Sherman. I will bless it.
Curly

Post by Curly »

Nyuk, nyuk. Natasha, you're a tasty looking babe. Send me a PM, Nattie, we can do the cha-cha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsZFpS0F1Uc&t=0m9s
Curly Howard
Director of EAC3TO Development