[CLOSED] Parsing some DVD

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
Guest 2

[CLOSED] Parsing some DVD

Post by Guest 2 »

Dear Rocky, as you may know I am going thru a bunch of mass encoding from DVDs to mkv via x264 etc.

I have found some DVDs where DGIndex has difficulties to parse correctly audio and video, demuxing video longer than the audio, sometimes viceversa.

I have found that a pass with MakeMKV before feeding DGIndex solves the error but anyway I'd like to report it to you.

It seems that some DVDs have some small addictional intro with brand logo: DGIndex keep them in count for video but not for audio or subs.

I have uploaded (I thank the day I had fiber at home) one of the problematic DVD (Ogni cosa è illuminata, Everything Is Illuminated in English): try to demux with DGIndex and with MakeMKV to notice difference in lenght from video and audio and the out of sync with audio and subs.
Rocky

Re: Parsing some DVD

Post by Rocky »

I'll look into it after getting DGDemux and DGIndexNV updates out the door today.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I loaded VTS_01_1thru4 into DGIndexNV and demuxed the video and first AC3. The durations did not match:

video: 6224.48 secs
ac3: 6083.072 secs

I went ahead and muxed them into an MKV. Playing it back everything was fine and in sync until the movie ended and the audio ran out, after which some spurious video appeared, accounting for the above discrepancy. Maybe you have a multi-angle DVD and you didn't rip it properly? How did you rip this DVD? If it's multiangle you have to do things correctly to get only a single angle in your rip. I don't know what MakeMKV is doing. Did you use it on the physical disk or your ripped files? If the former it may have selected the first angle by default.

I'll try to help but to be honest DVDs are not that interesting anymore.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:33 am
Maybe you have a multi-angle DVD and you didn't rip it properly? How did you rip this DVD?
Single angle DVD, no protection at all, ripped with old DVD Decrypter.

It was not a single case, at least 10% of DVD has same behaviour, so that I decided to change my job queue and have a pass with MakeMKV before DGIndexNV.

I can understand you don't want to dig: DVD are old technology.

Just keep this thread as memory whenever somebody will go thru same problem and thanks for the time you spent looking.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I don't know what you did. How do I demux this with MakeMKV?

Things would be much easier if I had the physical disk.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:24 am
I don't know what you did. How do I demux this with MakeMKV?
MakeMKV creates a MKV from a physical or folder, it has no demux capabilities AFAIK.

I have found another issue with DGIndex when demuxing mkv created from DVD: it doesn't recreate correct idx/sub structures, while other matroska based GUI (such as gMKVExtractGUI), recreate the correct idx/sub couples of files.

If you want the complete procedure:

1) unpack the files I sent you
2) open VIDEO_TS from MakeMKV (in the MakeMKV forum there is a serial to unlock the program, if needed)
3) select movie only, with all audio tracks and subs
4) create MKV file
5) open with a player (I use MPC-BE) the IFO associated with the bigger files in DVD structure and look at the first sequence
6) do the same with the mkv file, you will notice they are different

To reproduce sub demuxing issue:

1) open mkv with DGIndex and demux everything (video not required)
2) open mkv with gMKVExtractGUI and demux everything (video not required)
3) look at the idx/sub: every sub MUST have an associated idx
MeteorRain

Post by MeteorRain »

Our "standard" way is to always extract per PGC VOBs from disks, with splitting option off, into directories before processing it.
In other words, we never (and should never) directly import VOBs from DVDs, as size based splitting could cause issues, potentially.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

MeteorRain wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:27 pm
Our "standard" way is to always extract per PGC VOBs from disks, with splitting option off, into directories before processing it. In other words, we never (and should never) directly import VOBs from DVDs, as size based splitting could cause issues, potentially.
Could you please elaborate the programs you use and how to do it?
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

MeteorRain wrote:
Our "standard" way is to always extract per PGC VOBs from disks, with splitting option off, into directories before processing it. In other words, we never (and should never) directly import VOBs from DVDs, as size based splitting could cause issues, potentially.
That was always my understanding too. I remember using DVDDecrypter in IFO mode for this, but maybe MeteorRain has some more modern ways.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

PgcDemux also works for this task, about the same age as DVDDecrypter
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

gonca wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:58 pm
PgcDemux also works for this task, about the same age as DVDDecrypter
Just tried PGDemux and it creates split VOBs not a single one.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

What do you mean by split VOBs and why is that a problem?
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

No VOBs, split or otherwise
Just elementary streams
Attachments
Untitled.png
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I don't know anything about PgcDemux. Anyway, isn't this all better suited for the other forum (THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion ;) )? manono et al will set you straight in no time.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:26 am
isn't this all better suited for the other forum
Ok, we will get a room. :D

Just don't forget about the procedure to reproduce the issues (video and subs) I wrote you. :hat:
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Guest 2 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:50 am
Just don't forget about the procedure to reproduce the issues (video and subs) I wrote you.
Well you wrote a lot. Can you point me to it or say it again?
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:00 am
Well you wrote a lot. Can you point me to it or say it again?
This for video lenght discrepancy (intro logo at the beginning with DGIndexNV, not with MakeMKV):
Guest 2 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:47 am
It seems that some DVDs have some small addictional intro with brand logo: DGIndex keep them in count for video but not for audio or subs.

I have uploaded (I thank the day I had fiber at home) one of the problematic DVD (Ogni cosa è illuminata, Everything Is Illuminated in English): try to demux with DGIndex and with MakeMKV to notice difference in lenght from video and audio and the out of sync with audio and subs.
This for subs:
Guest 2 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:13 pm
I have found another issue with DGIndex when demuxing mkv created from DVD: it doesn't recreate correct idx/sub structures, while other matroska based GUI (such as gMKVExtractGUI), recreate the correct idx/sub couples of files.

If you want the complete procedure:

1) unpack the files I sent you
2) open VIDEO_TS from MakeMKV (in the MakeMKV forum there is a serial to unlock the program, if needed)
3) select movie only, with all audio tracks and subs
4) create MKV file
5) open with a player (I use MPC-BE) the IFO associated with the bigger files in DVD structure and look at the first sequence
6) do the same with the mkv file, you will notice they are different

To reproduce sub demuxing issue:

1) open mkv with DGIndex and demux everything (video not required)
2) open mkv with gMKVExtractGUI and demux everything (video not required)
3) look at the idx/sub: every sub MUST have an associated idx
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Guest 2 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:13 pm
Demuxing of DVD VOBSUBs was never implemented. I'll add it to my list (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=857&p=11015#p11015). There must be something people are doing because DGIndex/DGIndexNV are widely used for DVDs. You could ask about that at the other forum too.

I'll look deeper into your video issue.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I thought I answered the video question. OK, again.

I loaded VTS_1_01.VOB through VTS_1_04.vob into DGIndexNV. I set the end of the project to just after the last B&W credit scrolls off (before the spurious video at the end). Then I set to demux the video and the first AC3. I saved project. Then I muxed the demuxed video and audio into an MKV. The MKV plays in sync throughout and has no crap at the end.

As I said, the extra stuff at the end appears to be a ripping issue and this is not the forum for that. Looks like previews or something that should have been excluded when ripping.
MeteorRain

Post by MeteorRain »

Guest 2 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:30 pm
MeteorRain wrote:
Could you please elaborate the programs you use and how to do it?
Like Rocky said, inside DVD Decrypter, switch to IFO mode, make sure in program settings you turn of VOB splitting feature (splitting size = None), pick your PGC, select your chapters as required, and execute it to give you a nice and clean single VOB file.

I wrote a simple tutorial a few years ago, the screen shot is presented here. As you can see, within DVD Decrypter you can also optionally demux the audio in the same step.

DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:52 pm
I thought I answered the video question. OK, again.
If you demux the video with DGIndexNV from VOB or from MKV you have 2 different INITIAL video. The VOB one has one more brand smart clip.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

MeteorRain wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:46 pm
Like Rocky said, inside DVD Decrypter, switch to IFO mode, make sure in program settings you turn of VOB splitting feature (splitting size = None), pick your PGC, select your chapters as required, and execute it to give you a nice and clean single VOB file.
All DVD are now gone for hell in thrash bin. I managed to solve the issue with a pass in MakeMKV.

Is there a way to demux elementary streams from saved VIDEO_TS folder?
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Guest 2 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:03 pm
Is there a way to demux elementary streams from saved VIDEO_TS folder?
Sure just select the VOBs you want et voila.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Guest 2 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:02 pm
If you demux the video with DGIndexNV from VOB or from MKV you have 2 different INITIAL video. The VOB one has one more brand smart clip.
I said many times DGIndexNV does not do ifo parsing. You can do it at rip time as explained or you can use another tool. Be happy!
Curly

Post by Curly »

Who gives a crap about DVDs anymore? People want to 'back up' their DVDs to HEVC or something to save space? Just save the ISOs and call it a day. Am I wrong?
Curly Howard
Director of EAC3TO Development