[CLOSED] Failed to create video decoder [300]

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
tcil

[CLOSED] Failed to create video decoder [300]

Post by tcil »

Many other threads mention "Failed to create video decoder" with other error codes from DGIndexNV, but not 300 as far as I could tell.

This happens when trying to open an MPEG-2 TS file with H.264 video. The file plays fine in VLC (everything from the ancient 0.8.6 to the latest 3.0.10) with no problems. The file also plays fine in MPC-HC with NVIDIA CUVID selected for Hardware Acceleration, though CPU usage is the same with and without acceleration enabled (even after restarting MPC-HC) so maybe it's silently falling back to software decoding internally?

Other MPEG-2 TS files with H.264 video work fine in DGIndexNV. The video card is an older one (8500 GT) so I'm using version DGDevNV/DGIndexNV version 2052.

I did also try the same file in the old DGAVCIndex application that uses software decoding. It opens the file and can seek around with no problem. The rendering is just a bit botched with black and white instead of color and the rows/lines of pixels aren't lined up properly creating a diagonal effect through the whole picture. A frame is attached that's mostly showing tree branches, leaves, and a sunny sky. Obviously DGAVCIndex isn't supported, but I thought it was worth mentioning in case some the rendering problems mentioned and shown here could have anything to do with the hardware decoder not liking the same data.
fo.png
Any help would be appreciated. If there's somewhere specific that sample files should be uploaded if those would help please let me know.

Thanks! :)
Rocky

Re: Failed to create video decoder [300]

Post by Rocky »

Welcome to the forum!

Can you upload a sample to an external hosting site and post the link here? MediaFire is one option. Please ensure that your sample shows the problem.

300 is an unusual error code meaning "the device kernel source is invalid". That's obscure and a google search doesn't bring enlightenment.

8500 is beyond ancient. You really need to upgrade.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Could be that the video is 4:2:2, which is not supported by the nVidia hardware (for AVC). Run mediainfo on it and see if that is the case. That could account for the DGAVCDec failure as well.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Had to take the board down for backup for a few hours.
DAE avatar
tcil

Post by tcil »

Thank you very much for the responses. I'll check on 4:2:2 and get a small sample uploaded later, but probably not today.
DAE avatar
tcil

Post by tcil »

Here's the video info. A sample is still coming later.

Video
ID : 256 (0x100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L3
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 4 frames
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 50 min 53 s
Width : 854 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

It is shown as 4:2:0 so no need to check that. Can't do anything without the sample. Don't you have $50 you can spend on a new card? It's hard to get motivated to help with a 13-year old low-end card.
DAE avatar
tcil

Post by tcil »

My video card is mildly offended. It's not used for gaming or anything. It was bought specifically for its H.264 hardware decoder back in 2007 and I haven't given any thought to replacing it since it's still working fine. There's a newer GT 610 in another machine here. I don't have DGDecNV/DGIndexNV on that machine but could probably give that a try. Sample still coming, just not right now...
Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle »

My buggy whips are still working fine too. :roll:

Anyway, your crud...I mean card...can't be too fine if it fails on simple AVC streams.

You're probably running some ancient nVidia driver version, too. Rocky is being kind in spending any time at all on this. But if you can't give a sample in two full days, you're pushing your luck.

Did I offend you?
DAE avatar
tcil

Post by tcil »

Sample! Right here! Right now!

I'm not offended by your remarks, but the video card is weeping from its lil capacitor eyes, so it's definitely sad and totally not failing.

Seriously though, I just threw a bunch of recently encoded H.264/AVC content from multiple sources at the card through DGIndexNV and there was still only one source with the problem reported.

And yes, the video card's driver is a bit old, but it's the latest version released for that series of cards (v340.52). NVIDIA promised two years of bug fixes (no new feature updates) after 340.52 was released and never released any updates, so obviously 340.52 is completely free of bugs and NVIDIA has never been even slightly dishonest about anything ever.

Thanks for taking a look at the linked sample. :)
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

It looks like early CUVID did not support Extended_SAR. Your file displays fine in my system with 2053 and latest drivers. It also displays fine using 2052 with latest drivers, which tends to confirm the theory. Here is the info log for the sample:

Code: Select all

Stream Type: Transport [188]
Video Type: AVC
Profile: Main
Level: 3
Coded Size: 864x480
SAR: 1280:1281
Display Size: 863x480
Frame Rate: 25.000000 fps
Colorimetry: Unknown [2]
Frame Structure: 
Frame Type: 
Coded Number: 360
Playback Number: 360
Frame Repeats: 0
Field Repeats: 0
Bitrate: 
Bitrate (Avg): 
Bitrate (Max): 
Audio Stream:  101: AAC Audio
Elapsed: 0:00:00
Remain: 0:00:00
FPS: 
Info: Finished!

257: C:\Users\Don\Downloads\ad PID 101  DELAY 66665380ms.aac
The SAR of 1280:1281 is not a standard one and is rather unusual. It can be specified using the Extended_SAR syntax element. You can look at your other working files and see if any specify this extended SAR of 1280:1281. I suspect you won't find any. It's probably academic though, because if the theory is borne out, there's nothing you can do about it without upgrading your card, which will allow you to run the latest driver.
DAE avatar
tcil

Post by tcil »

Thank you very much for the info. I'm very pleased to hear that it can be made to work with an upgrade. The card in this machine still won't be replaced any time soon, so I'll probably check how things work on the machine with the newer GT 610 (and newer drivers) this weekend when I have more time.

Thanks again for all of your time and help.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

You're welcome, tcil. I'll leave this open for now in case you have a follow-up after trying your 610.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Marking CLOSED.