[CLOSED] "GPU decoder [MX150 GP108]: Failed to create video decoder [100]. Exiting..."

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
dartheditous

[CLOSED] "GPU decoder [MX150 GP108]: Failed to create video decoder [100]. Exiting..."

Post by dartheditous »

I recently got a new computer and have just got around to installing DGDecNV. When I try to open any .mkv or .264 file I get the following error:

Code: Select all

GPU decoder: Failed to create video decoder [100]. Exiting...
My driver version (installed automatically by Windows 10) is 26.21.14.3206. The .264 files I'm using were previously indexed using version 2045 on my old computer. If I fall back to the 2045 version of DGDecodeNV.dll that I had on that computer and use my old .dgi file, when I try to open a DGSource-using script in VirtualDub, I get:

Code: Select all

Failed to create video decoder (100).
Here are the GPU details:

Does this give any clues as to what's wrong?
Rocky

Re: "GPU decoder: Failed to create video decoder [100]. Exiting..."

Post by Rocky »

It's a laptop, right? Theoretically, we don't support laptops because of Optimus, etc. Error 100 means it did not detect a CUDA device. Are other CUDA applications working?

You should install the latest nVidia driver and try again. Not supported on your laptop? Sorry but not a DG issue.

I'll spend some time on it, but as I said, for laptops you're generally on your own. Still, it could be OK if you can install latest drivers.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

dartheditous, I forgot to say... Welcome to the Forum!
DAE avatar
dartheditous

Post by dartheditous »

Understood about laptops. If you can help, that's great; if not, DGDecNV has served me well for many years previously (also on a laptop!) so it's not like I haven't had my money's worth.

I'm not 100% sure about CUDA things, but Blender show both graphics cards (MX150/Intel Core i7) under its CUDA tab and does a Cycles render with "GPU Compute" specified okay, so I guess it's working. I also tried a util called CUDA-Z, which detects the MX150 only, and reports no issues. It also does CUDA benchmarks, which are working. NVIDIA's GPU activity util confirms that DGIndexNV is using the NVIDIA card.

I've installed the latest drivers from NVIDIA now (445.87) but unfortunately the problem persists.

I've tried a few different files and types (MKV, MP4, 264, M2TS), but it sounds like that's not relevant at the moment. On one occasion, DGIndexNV exited without the error message, but the next I tried the same file it showed the error message before exiting.

Any other info I can supply?
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I see. Thank you. Let me find my CUVID tester for you. Standby...

OK, here you go. CUDA and CUVID both must be working.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=850&p=10923&hilit=c ... rar#p10923
DAE avatar
dartheditous

Post by dartheditous »

Here's my result:

https://i.imgur.com/JsCu1lZ.png

It's the same if I run the command prompt specifying the NVIDIA card, and also if I Run as Administrator.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Do you have any settings in BIOS, such as to select iGPU versus nVidia? To disable Optimus?
DAE avatar
dartheditous

Post by dartheditous »

No, nothing like that unfortunately - in fact I don't recall seeing any mention of Optimus anywhere on this new laptop. Maybe it's just become such a ubiquitous thing it isn't worthy of being mentioned any more (or optionally disabled).

Let me know if I can check anything else. In the meantime I've solved a problem I was having with ffmpegsource so I can use that instead, although it would be nice to see how many FPS I can get out of this with DGDecNV.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

There has to be a switch for the iGPU. What processor is it? Have a link to the manual?
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Maybe not looking so good for you, dartheditous.

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/m ... s-10/77628
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/w ... chip/66948

Try setting Use D3D, exit DGIndexNV, and restart it. That's the last hope. :cry:

BTW, aparently decode_modes doesn't do anything anymore with NVDec, so that stuff should be removed.
DAE avatar
dartheditous

Re: "GPU decoder [MX150 GP108]: Failed to create video decoder [100]. Exiting..."

Post by dartheditous »

This is where the BIOS option was on my old laptop:

https://kbimg.dell.com/library/KB/DELL_ ... ch_v1b.jpg

but on the new one (Latitude 5500) there's only Laptop Brightness and no Optimus or other GPU options anywhere else.

The processor is a Core i7-9850H.
Rocky

Re: "GPU decoder [MX150 GP108]: Failed to create video decoder [100]. Exiting..."

Post by Rocky »

Did you try Use_D3D mode?
DAE avatar
dartheditous

Post by dartheditous »

Rocky wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:13 pm
Try setting Use D3D, exit DGIndexNV, and restart it. That's the last hope. :cry:
Sadly the last hope is a nope!

Looks like I'm out of luck :( Ah well. Thanks for trying!
DAE avatar
dartheditous

Post by dartheditous »

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-enco ... ort-matrix

This officially shows that GP108 drops NVENC (but not NVDEC). I guess that's the problem?
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Well, no. NVDec is also not working.

Sorry we couldn't help you. As Bullwinkle might say, even a stomping would have been futile. Laptops are usually a PITA.