[RESOLVED] Suggested Settings for MBAFF

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
Uke

[RESOLVED] Suggested Settings for MBAFF

Post by Uke »

I'd like to start by saying thanks for such a great utility :3 The difference it makes to my encoding workflow is worth a lot more than the tiny sum of $15 as far as I'm concerned.

I often deal with a lot of MBAFF sources as I capture and encode programmes from the BBC HD DVB service in the UK, which broadcasts in H.264 MBAFF. I've also seen it quite a lot on discs of live material such as concerts, most recently the Hatsune Miku concert Bluray.

Having read up on it, and through observation, it's clear that I need to deinterlace this content, but as far as I know the field order and whether a certain frame contains interlacing or not are not revealed by inspection of the file. I've currently been calling DGAVCDecNV with the arguments (fieldop=0, deinterlace=1, use_pf=true) and while this appears to be working, I'm wondering if it will work in all cases for MBAFF content. I normally use slow x264 profiles for encoding and don't always get time to fully check my encodes after they're done so I don't want to end up in the situation where I come to watch something for the first time and find unacceptable artifacts in the stream.

Thanks again for the program and I hope you can give me some advice.
admin

Re: Suggested Settings for MBAFF

Post by admin »

Two comments:

1. Just because the stream is MBAFF *encoded*, that doesn't necessarily mean it is interlaced *content*! You need to inspect the video to see if it is really interlaced.

2. Your settings will work for any stream. Of course, you should deinterlace only streams with interlaced *content*.