[RESOLVED] Suddenly encoding fps is very slow

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
samf88

[RESOLVED] Suddenly encoding fps is very slow

Post by samf88 »

Hello everybody,

I recently purchased a license to run DGIndexNV and was happy with the results I was getting with my encodes, about 6-8fps going from a 1080i PAL .ts to a 720p through x264. A 20 minute cut would be fully encoded in an hour. I have been using the same script and same settings but all of a sudden I seem to be averaging an encoding fps of 0.8fps, with a 20 minute cut taking 10 hours total to encode 2 passes. Obviously this is not ideal but I can't work out why this has changed so drastically when I haven't even changed any settings. I would also like to add that I have tried this with various sources (AVC, VC-1, MPEG-2 and combinations of HD and SD) and have had the same results. I'm hoping this is a common problem with a suitable resolution and that somebody can help me sort it!

A few stats:
Windows XP Professional SP3 (32-bit)
MeGUI 1981 (upgraded from an earlier version to a developmental build to see if it would fix anything)
x264 1913
DGIndexNV 2038 (32-bit)
AMD Phenom X4 9950 2.60GHz
4GB RAM (although with 32-bit XP it doesn't recognise/use all of this)
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ (GPU G92, Revision A2, Driver nv4_disp 6.14.12.6658 ForceWare 266.58)

GPU-Z Graphics Card Information
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/ ... /gpuz1.png

Script that I have always used:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\nnedi3\nnedi3.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\yadifmod\yadifmod.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\dgindexnv\DGDecodeNV.dll")
DGSource("D:\Encodes\test.dgi",fieldop=0)
yadifmod(order=-1, field=-1, mode=0, edeint=nnedi3())
Spline36Resize(1280,720)

GPU-Z results with no encode running
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/ ... encode.png

Results whilst encoding in MeGUI
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/ ... gpass1.png

As you can see, the GPU-Z results don't seem to differ and I'm thinking maybe the graphics card perhaps isn't set up correctly for this? I understand that if this is the problem then it is no fault of DGIndexNV, but as the program relies on the GPU I seriously hope somebody can help me out here! There literally aren't enough hours in the day to encode this footage when it's 10 hours per 20 minutes!
admin

Re: Suddenly encoding fps is very slow

Post by admin »

The speed changed "suddenly" without you making any changes to your system or process?

I don't know how to help when magic is involved.
DAE avatar
samf88

Post by samf88 »

Yes. I left my system encoding 2 things overnight - the first finished in normal time and when I looked in the morning, it was still on second pass of the second encode when normally it would have been finished hours previously. Ever since, I have had this drastic speed decrease.

I'm not familiar with GPUs as such, but is it possible that the GPU overheated during the first encode and has now 'died' so to speak?
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

samf88 wrote:I'm hoping this is a common problem
It is not. Something in your system has gone haywire. If it were me I'd be inclined to look at CPU usage in Task Mgr/Perf Monitor first to see if x264 is running close to 100% as it usually does or whether any other process is hogging the system.

Easiest thing to try is a Windows System Restore to a date prior to when you first noticed the problem.
DAE avatar
samf88

Post by samf88 »

Hi laserfan thank you for your reply.

Over the last hour I have uninstalled all drivers relating to the Graphics Card and have reinstalled them.

CPU usage when x264.exe is running also seems to be fairly low but I am not noticing much of a difference with those figures to when everything was 'okay'.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/ ... uusage.png

My next step will be a system restore as you have suggested. I'm presuming that if that doesn't sort it then the problem lies with the hardware. Does everything look safe and correctly installed judging by the GPU-Z results in my opening post? As I'm not familiar with alot of terms relating to GPUs, I'm not entirely sure what sort of figures are good there.
DAE avatar
samf88

Post by samf88 »

Just an update - have done a System Restore to a few days before all this started when everything was running fine... seems to have caused more problems though... certain applications don't seem to want to run (MeGUI is one, for example!) and my sound drivers appear to have been deleted somehow... bit puzzled right now and it's late so I might continue trying to work out what the hell is going on tomorrow after work.
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

samf88 wrote:have done a System Restore to a few days before all this started when everything was running fine... seems to have caused more problems though...
A SR should not have done that. Maybe a hardware problem--do a diskcheck. Also examine your system event logs to see if anything unusual occurred around the time that your slowdown started.
DAE avatar
samf88

Post by samf88 »

This is very much doing my head in - alot of crashes have been caused by MagicTuneEngine.exe which I believe is an application provided by Samsung for tuning up monitors. Control Panel isn't allowing me to remove certain applications (I get "Setup.exe has crashed" immediately on pressing Uninstall) and I can't even work out why MeGUI isn't running... would be nice to be able to test it to see if the System Restore actually 'fixed' whatever the issue was!

I think at this rate my best bet would be to back up my OS partition and install Windows 7 Ultimate x64 following a complete format of the partition. This might take me a while to get everything ready but I'm hoping it will clear whatever has caused the problem. Sorry for this post going off-topic!
admin

Post by admin »

Since you have apparently some system problems and not any specific problem or bug with DGDecNV, I will mark this resolved. If you later identify any DGDecNV issues, feel free to re-open this issue.