Requesting test files for my GPU denoiser

Support for my Avisynth filters
admin

Requesting test files for my GPU denoiser

Post by admin »

Hi Guys,

I am looking for test files that have noise that one might like to remove with KNLMeansCL. I'd like to compare the results with my new GPU denoiser. Thank you.
admin

Re: Requesting test files for my GPU denoiser

Post by admin »

I made some using AddGrainC() but it would still be nice to see a real-world file.

My denoiser compares favorably to KNLMeansCL. I'll give a beta for you to play with tomorrow.
admin

Post by admin »

Here is a test version. I would appreciate your test results and comparisons to KNLMeansCL. Thank you.

http://rationalqm.us/misc/DGDenoise.rar
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

Thank you for a new filter.
Place all the files together in one directory. You may not separate
them because DGDenoise() finds its needed files by using the localtion
of DGDenoise.dll.
What does this mean when using vapoursynth, say if I have dgdenoise in a non-autoloaded folder and load it manually ... would it still find the companion files ?

Also, for interlaced TV capture input, I suppose a separatefields then the new filter followed by a re-interlace is a valid way to proceed ?
I really do like it here.
admin

Post by admin »

hydra3333 wrote: What does this mean when using vapoursynth, say if I have dgdenoise in a non-autoloaded folder and load it manually ... would it still find the companion files ?
It doesn't matter where you put them as long as they are kept together. When DGDenoise() is instantiated, it querys the location of DGDenoise.dll and tries to start the server in the same location. When the server starts it looks for its DLLs there also.

BTW, I use a server because so far I have been unable to make freeglut window creation work in a DLL. Hopefully, that can be solved one day.
Also, for interlaced TV capture input, I suppose a separatefields then the new filter followed by a re-interlace is a valid way to proceed ?
I suppose. Whatever you would do with KNLMeansCL you would do with DGDenoise.

I must be using KNLMeansCL wrong or something because I find that DGDenoise blows it away. That's the main reason I'd like some independent testing from people that use KNLMeansCL. Of course both are designed for removing white noise.
admin

Post by admin »

Ah, thanks for that. Give me a few minutes to investigate and then I'll post back. I can use an earlier CUDA kit if needed. I can ship the DLL too if needed. The driver should supply the DLL, i.e., you shouldn't need to install a toolkit. However, I have to ensure that you have the right DLL.

One thing I noticed about KNLMeansCL is that it is much slower than DGDenoise but it protects edges better. I plan to add some
edge detection code and protect the edges. I don't expect it to reduce performance much because the Sobel kernel runs very fast.
admin

Post by admin »

Can you please search your system for cudart*.dll and tell me what you have and the directories? Just

c:
dir cudart*.dll /s >log.txt

and post the log. Also, what card and driver do you have?
admin

Post by admin »

You have an early driver that may not have included things. OK, try the re-uploaded DGDenoise.rar. I built with kit 6.0 and included cudart*_60.dll. Replace all the files! You need Avisynth 6.0 or Avisynth+.

Please advise. It's working for me in 32-bit or 64-bit without any cuda-related DLLs specified in my PATH.

I hope you have an opengl.dll on your system. :scratch:
admin

Post by admin »

OK, but DGDecNV runs fine, right? So I am surprised.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to enable XP compatibility. You can try again in 2 weeks, but for now...Enjoy Your Vacation!

If you haven't left yet, where are you headed?
admin

Post by admin »

Nice but you're missing most of the Olympics.
DAE avatar
sparktank

Post by sparktank »

:wow: whaaaa. Late to the party?

I see from the other thread a regression and some fixin' needin'.

I had the first version downloaded, but forgot it when I moved it to a memory card.
With so many updates everywhere, it's hard to keep track of everything.

This should give me time to dig up some noisy blurays.
Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 | GPU Caps Viewer
Windows 10 Annversary (x64) | ASVPlus_x64
Region A/R1
admin

Post by admin »

I'll try to get it back on line for you today.
admin

Post by admin »

OK, I have re-uploaded it with the regression fixed.

http://rationalqm.us/misc/DGDenoise.rar
DAE avatar
sparktank

Post by sparktank »

Thanks! I'll give a test run today and see about getting some clips up on MEGA.co.nz for posterity.
Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 | GPU Caps Viewer
Windows 10 Annversary (x64) | ASVPlus_x64
Region A/R1
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

I'm getting from Avisynth: "Could not find usable CUDA device".
My GPU is 9600 GS, Driver Version 9.18.13.4192 on which DGDecNV works flawless (except for HEVC)
admin

Post by admin »

IIRC, CUDA toolkit 7.5 dropped support for that old compute capability. I would have to build it with 6.5 instead. For some reason when I converted from the last server version to the current version, I went with 7.5. Anyway, as I mentioned on the other thread I decided not to proceed with this filter because the speed gain it obtains over KNLMeansCL comes at a steep price of some nasty artifacts. I may integrate the KNN kernel (which does not have the artifacts) into DGDecodeNV, and that would be built with toolkit 6.5.

I'll lock this thread now.