Help with multidecimate

Support for my Avisynth filters
DAE avatar
Ben

Help with multidecimate

Post by Ben »

I am using a mpeg4 .avi file (of auto license plates – LPs) from a Honeywell DVR to feed into a program that recognizes a full frame with the LP in it and a blow-up of the LP in a smaller frame and gives these with a copy of the Date and Time stamp. The mpeg4 is recorded by motion sensing of the Honeywell DVR and has a one second pre and post motion sequence automatically inserted with every LP sequence. I would like to remove the pre and post recording which includes no pertinent information. I have tried motion detection software to save only the sequence with the auto and LP but I have been unable to find a program that captures all of the motion frames.

I am able to accomplish this with multidecimate with avisynth and am saving it as an mpeg4 .avi file. With the original mpeg4 file obtained from the Honeywell DVR, +/- 5% more LPs are captured than when using the multidecimate file. I assume that this is related to loss of resolution by the additional conversion to YUY2 and back to mpeg4. Does anyone have any suggest to solve this problem?

Thanks!

Ben
admin

Re: Help with multidecimate

Post by admin »

Your description is not sufficient to enable me to help you.

I can help if you provide an unprocessed source video sample and a statement of exactly how you wish to transform it.
DAE avatar
Ben

Post by Ben »

What information do you need?

I have attached an mpeg4 .avi clip.

I want to remove all of the blank frames before and after the frames that contain vehicular motion.

Thanks for your help!

Ben
DAE avatar
Ben

Post by Ben »

The last post did not upload the attachment.

Here is another try.

Ben
DAE avatar
Ben

Post by Ben »

I have tried three times to upload a file without success. Is there some secret?

Ben
admin

Post by admin »

Use mediafire.com and post the link here.
DAE avatar
Ben

Post by Ben »

admin

Post by admin »

I can't open FFDS in VirtualDub. Please use the native stream or a common video codec such as HUFYUV. Thank you.
DAE avatar
Ben

Post by Ben »

The hufyuv is too large to upload. Can you use x264 lossless?

The file I uploaded was a mpeg4.

Ben
admin

Post by admin »

Can't you get an MPG out of that camera, instead of AVI? I can't tell you in advance if I will be able to play any AVI, unless it is Xvid, Divx, or HUFYUV. I regret that I don't have time to jump through hoops to help you, so please make it easy.
DAE avatar
Ben

Post by Ben »

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ihxy5 ... 4-xvid.avi

This is a mpeg4 - fourcc - xvid -.avi file. I hope that this is what you wanted. I tried downloading the huffyuv from your web site and installing it but was unsuccessful.

Thanks for your time!

Ben
admin

Post by admin »

File Blocked for Violation.
The file you requested has been blocked for a violation of our Terms of Service.
DAE avatar
Ben

Post by Ben »

I do not know why you were unable to download the file. Everything looks OK om Mediafire. I have sent the file to you as an attachment on on email.

Also my last post above seems to have been separated from the previous posts in the string!

Ben
admin

Post by admin »

OK, I have received your file. I see that there are duplicates within the moving vehicle segments. Did you want to remove them or not?
Also my last post above seems to have been separated from the previous posts in the string!
Sorry, no comprende.
DAE avatar
Ben

Post by Ben »

I would like to have only frames with license plates. Is that possible?

Of course, the ultimate would be to wind up with only one frame from each time sequence with a license plate present! Is that possible?

Thanks!

Ben

"Also my last post above seems to have been separated from the previous posts in the string!"

The last two times that I looked the post before this one was not with the other posts in this thread. It is now in the proper position?????

Ben
DAE avatar
Ben

Post by Ben »

I did not realize there was more than one page per thread when you look at the thread from the forum page. I have never seen one with pages before. That explains the reason for my confusion in my previous post.

Ben
admin

Post by admin »

First you were talking about duplicate removal and now you are talking about pattern recognition. MultiDecimate cannot do pattern recognition.

I suggest that you try some time-lapse forums to get a solution, as this forum is for support of my tools, and none of them can isolate license plates as you require.
DAE avatar
Ben

Post by Ben »

admin,

I would like to return to my original request which does ask a question which applies to your tool multidecimate.

"I am using a mpeg4-xvid .avi file (of auto license plates – LPs) from a Honeywell DVR to feed into a program that recognizes a full frame with the LP in it and gives these with a copy of the Date and Time stamp. The mpeg4 is recorded by motion sensing of the Honeywell DVR and has a one second pre and post motion sequence automatically inserted with every LP sequence. I would like to remove the pre and post recording which includes no pertinent information. I have tried motion detection software to save only the sequence with the auto and LP but I have been unable to find a program that captures all of the motion frames.

I am able to accomplish this with multidecimate with avisynth and am saving it as an mpeg4-xvid .avi file. With the original mpeg4-xvid file obtained from the Honeywell DVR, the program that recognizes LPs recognizes +/- 5% more LPs than when using the multidecimate file. I assume that this is related to loss of resolution by the additional conversion to YUY2 and back to mpeg4-xvid. Do you have any suggestions to solve this problem?"

Thanks for any suggestions!

Ben
admin

Post by admin »

My friend, I don't have time to repeat the same questions over and over. I asked you: "I see that there are duplicates within the moving vehicle segments. Did you want to remove them or not?" Do you have an answer for that? Does that account for your 5% mismatch and is it really critical for your application?
DAE avatar
Ben

Post by Ben »

Yes, I would like to remove the duplicates within the moving vehicle segments. It is important that I am able to match the results between the original clip and the multidecimated clip.

Ben
admin

Post by admin »

Ben wrote:It is important that I am able to match the results between the original clip and the multidecimated clip.
I don't know what that means. How could they match if one has frames removed and one doesn't?
DAE avatar
Ben

Post by Ben »

I am sorry to have confused you by referring to the ultimate use of the multidecimate video clip in another program that you know essentially nothing about.

I do have several questions which relate specifically your multidecimate filter:

All of the questions relate to the quality of the final final video clip which has been decimated.

1. Is there a preferred encoder or converter for the avisource?
2. Does converting the avisource with yuy2 decrease the quality of the final file?
3. Is there a preferred encoder or converter for the final .avi film clip when it is saved?
4. Does the conversion or encoding of the original video clip or the saving of the decimated clip decrease the quality of the final decimated video clip?

Thanks!

Ben
admin

Post by admin »

Ben wrote:1. Is there a preferred encoder or converter for the avisource?
2. Does converting the avisource with yuy2 decrease the quality of the final file?
3. Is there a preferred encoder or converter for the final .avi film clip when it is saved?
4. Does the conversion or encoding of the original video clip or the saving of the decimated clip decrease the quality of the final decimated video clip?
1. Impossible to answer without knowing your criteria for preference, and your use case.

2. If the source is already chroma subsampled, then no. If the source is not subsampled (e.g., RGB), then yes.

3. See answer to 1.

4. It depends on the bitrate you choose for encoding but there will always be some degradation. It is minimal to insignificant if you choose an appropriate bitrate.

This is now off topic for this thread. You will be better off seeking general advice at the Videohelp forum.