[SOLVED] DGindexNV won't open to get machine id

Support for problems with license issues for my licensed tools
admin
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED] DGindexNV won't open to get machine id

Post by admin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:07 pm

You are welcome.

There's not too much left to go wrong at this point. I'm heading off to the pool so if you do find anything I'll address it when I get back.

Technically, your funny machine is not cooperating with my licensing scheme and returns machine ID 0. It's not even supplying a system volume ID. Previously, I just rejected that in DGIndexNV at the time DGDecodeNV did not have the licensing check. I changed DGIndexNV to accept the special key so that users with such machines wouldn't be left out in the cold. But then when I added licensing to DGDecodeNV, I forgot to make this change to it. Now everything is consistent and you should run into only garden-variety bugs from now on, if at all. The crashing was me trying to free a null pointer in a rare condition that your machine triggered.

Good luck with your projects and welcome to the forum.

goonielife

Post by goonielife » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:43 pm

I found this while looking into the license thing a bit myself.

"""There is actually another way to uniquely identity each Windows PC. Open up Registry and navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography

Find the key called “MachineGuid” this key is generated uniquely during the installation of Windows and it won’t change regardless of any hardware swap (apart from replacing the boot-able hard drive where the OS are installed on). That means if you want to keep tracking installation per OS this is another alternative. It won’t change unless you do a fresh reinstall of Windows."""

May be worth looking at as an additional options for a unique key, seems like the "rent a pc" option is becoming more prevalent.

Thanks again!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:54 pm

Thanks, I'll look into it. If the key is editable, however, that is a problem.