Board under attack

admin

Board under attack

Post by admin »

The forum is under attack by assorted spambots. Until I beef up my countermeasures, activation is now by admin rather than user.
admin

Re: Board under attack

Post by admin »

Newly registered users are now defined as those without at least one post. For newly registered users their first post will require moderation. After that one post they become normal members automatically. That should at least stop you from seeing objectionable links etc. even if they do somehow bypass the Q&A. The Q&A questions were changed to be not easily solved by a spambot.

I have pruned all users who have joined before 2017 and have never been active.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

thank you.
I really do like it here.
admin

Post by admin »

You're welcome. Seems to be working!
admin

Post by admin »

There may be some sporadic spam as I weed out the last of the stealth registrations from the past.
admin

Post by admin »

One of the 5 remaining possible spammers has come out. Now we have 4. These are people that registered and activated before I set things up so that the first post gets moderated. I don't know if these 4 have bad intent but we'll see.

BTW, if possible please use the Report facility rather than PM to report spam.
admin

Post by admin »

With the first-post moderation we get just a handful of spammers, and our esteemed board members do not see the spam posts. The current mitigation policies appear effective and will be continued.