[RESOLVED] Displaying HDR in DGIndexNV GUI

Support forum for DGDecNV
admin

[RESOLVED] Displaying HDR in DGIndexNV GUI

Post by admin »

In another thread Guest 2 suggested adding the capability to convert HDR to SDR for display in the DGIndexNV GUI.

So, thanks to some freshly made l. reuteri yoghurt (with fresh blueberries), the divine energy burst again ignited within me and produced a working HDRP016ToSDRRGB24 kernel. Of course, it's based on DGHDRtoSDR().

The decision to make now is how to expose it in the GUI.

A minimal approach just adds a single HDR->SDR menu item under Video. It would toggle the conversion on and off. We can't make it automatic because some streams are missing the HDR SEIs and so cannot be identified as HDR. The defaults for DGHDRtoSDR() would be hard-coded.

A maximal approach would be full support for enabling/disabling and control of the parameters on the Settings page (or a popup dialog accessible from Settings). We could pop up a little dialog box with sliders for the parameters. The main window would update as the sliders are operated.

Your thoughts?
DAE avatar

Re: Displaying HDR in DGIndexNV GUI

Post by Guest »

Presently, one would test the value of the parameters and loading it into vdub2.
Then, one adjusts the parameters (one by one) until happiness occurs with the results.

DGIndexNV
Maximal
Pop up with sliders for the values so the user just uses the sliders one by one and sees real time effect
Throw in a template for HDRtoSDR() and have these settings auto filled (this would be a bonus)
admin

Post by admin »

Everything is working except the bonus template stuff. May decide to pass on that. Just have to do some regression testing and then make a slipstream. The sliders have 0.01 resolution.

Interestingly, it was not so easy to update the display on a slider change. There was no existing code or entry point in DGIndexNV to just redisplay the current picture with a different conversion. I hacked up something for that. :ugeek:
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

That is great news, that you got it working so fast. :bravo:
The template, well that was one of those, as long as I am making wishes here is a good one.
With the sliders the users can get the values and manually fill the settings in a script generated by DGDecodeNV
admin

Post by admin »

I released this as slipstream 184. Note that the hue parameter is not supported.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Re: [RESOLVED] Displaying HDR in DGIndexNV GUI

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:45 pm
In another thread Guest 2 suggested adding the capability to convert HDR to SDR for display in the DGIndexNV GUI.
:bow:

I like the separated approach under Video. The important thing, in future iterations, will be to pass all the parameters to AviSynth script.

Or do you prefer to save them into DGI without the need of HDRtoSDR filter in AVS script?
admin

Post by admin »

We can do gonca's idea of adding a template expansion.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:58 am
We can do gonca's idea of adding a template expansion.
Ok :)
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

The HEVC info dialog now shows an HDR field that notifies of specification of PQ or HLG transfer function in the input stream (slipstream 186).